Accounting Technician Apprenticeship (Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Accounting)
- The full Accounting Technician Occupational Profile
- The detailed Recruitment Process
- The full Eligibility Guide and Application Advice
Then complete the ATI Online Application, carefully following the instructions.
ATI will follow up on your application directly.
What is the Accounting Technician Apprenticeship?
What does an Accounting Technician do?
Is this programme for me?
2 years (college classes one day per week, work at employers office 4 days per week)
Apprentices graduate as fully qualified Accounting Technicians with a Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Accounting.
There are no fees payable.
- Financial Accounting – learn about the fundamentals of accounting including accounting concepts, principles, legislation and procedures. Understand double-entry bookkeeping and preparation of financial statements. Learn how to interpret and analyse financial statements.
- Taxation – develop knowledge and skills to perform taxation computations for a range of situations involving individuals or businesses. Learn about administration of taxes, personal taxation, the Pay as You earn system, and Value Added Tax.
- Business Management –Understand how the main business functions in a business operate. Learn about the roles and practices of the modern manager (including the essentials of marketing and Information Systems). Identify, analyse and address key managerial concerns in corporate governance, ethics and corporate social responsibility.
- Law – Understand the key concepts and fundamental principles of law, corporate governance and ethics. Learn about the principles of company law.
- Advanced Financial Accounting – Learn how to prepare financial statements for partnerships and limited companies, together with preparing financial statements from incomplete records. Develop an ability to critically analyse and interpret financial statements and communicate in a professional manner to relevant parties. Understand the regulatory framework in accounting.
- Advanced Taxation – Develop an in-depth knowledge of the administration and procedures involved in the Irish tax system. Learn to prepare personal tax computations at an advanced level together with learning about Capital Gains Tax and PRSI. Study Corporation Tax and Relevant Contracts Tax.
- Management Accounting – Develop knowledge and technical competency in the area of management accounting to support business functions, activities and decision-making. Study costing terms and concepts, cost accumulation for Inventory and Profit Measurement, and learn about Standard Costing together with Budgetary Planning and Control.
- Integrated Accounted Systems – Learn to align your theoretical accounting education with practical applications used in the workplace. Gain proficiency in payroll, accounting and spreadsheet software that will maximize your contribution to the professional environment.
Apprentices will work at their employer’s office four days a week, and attend classes in college one day a week. They are also given three weeks’ study leave each year.
- ‘on-the-job’ training combined with college tuition
- Students ‘earn as you learn’ taking home the full-time industry salary for an incoming trainee Accounting Technician.
- Large and small accountancy practices, service firms and industry employers have already committed to taking on school leavers as apprentices.
On successful completion, there may be opportunities to progress to further study with the main accounting bodies, including Chartered Accountants Ireland, CPA etc. after just two years.
Accounting Technicians are qualified accounting professionals employed throughout all levels of finance across the public sector, industry, private accountancy practices and self-employment.
They perform a wide range of roles including Bookkeeping, Financial Accounting & Budgeting, Costing & Credit Control, Payroll Administration and Tax Returns
I loved my marketing and event management course in CCOC. It is a great college where you get a lot of support and help from your tutors. It gave me the confidence to pursue higher education, which I am currently studying a degree in Marketing and Multimedia at the University of Roehampton.
I am a 26 year old qualified accountant working in Quintas Partners in Cork City, I have this week took a senior accountant role within this firm which will give me the platform to progress in my career and achieve my goals I set in 2007 when I started my journey in Cork College of Commerce
CCOC provided me with the encouraging, supportive & motivating environment I needed to excel in my studies & progress to UWSTD where I completed my Marketing degree with just one further year study there. The high marks I received in my degree was testament to the three years I spent in CCOC being constantly challenged & supported by brilliant teachers, as is my job as a Marketing Executive. The personal approach was one of my best aspects, everyone’s needs were catered for individually and there was no “one size fits all” attitude.