This course provides the knowledge and skills for employment in office administration. Particular emphasis is placed on IT applications within an office environment. Our new certificate in Office Informatics provides a new dimension to the programme and assists students in integrating all of the knowledge and skills they gain into a complete understanding of the office arena.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Office Informatics 5M18294
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners needing Maths for progression)
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250)
- Office Informatics 5N18295
- Digital Presentations 5N0653 – Design, create and deliver a presentation to include Clip art, video clips, hyperlinks, animation effects and apply transitions and timings for slides. Evaluate the implications of the choice of venue to include lighting, room size, power points, audience size etc
- The Internet 5N1611
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Database Methods 5N0783 – Use MS Access to create databases from design specifications under a time constraint. Learn to manipulate information from databases and retrieve and output in report format.
- Spreadsheets 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Word Processing 5N1385 – Learn to produce professional mailable document. Learn file management and a host of functions including clipart, headers, footers, watermarks, graphics, tabs etc.
- Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised 5N1354 – Learn to record business transactions , post to ledgers and draw up a trial balance using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Two week work placement
- Professional guest lecturers
- Pitstop Leadership Programme from Common Purpose for selected students
CCOC QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Administration 6M5013
Great progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Career Opportunities: Any business office environment. Past students have been employed in numerous administrative positions such as Apple Computers, UCC, Cork City Council, Cork County Council and many other businesses. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
College of Commerce has given me the skills and experience to work in IT. I really loved my time there with my class mates and teachers. The structure of the course prepared me for the workplace. When I was doing my exams I felt fully prepared as my teachers put in much time and effort for each one of us. The coursework was detailed and I really liked what I was doing. The course boosted my confidence and prepared me well for the job I have now. It opened my mind to many opportunities. The staff were so helpful and I had amazing teachers. I met and made many great friends. I am now working in Abtran for Sky Ireland and this course got me there.
This is a really good College. The teachers were very helpful and I met great friends. Exams were frequent which I found great to keep us interested and focused. The coursework was varied so we got a taste for everything. My confidence really increased and it made me more outgoing. There were many job opportunities and I am now in full time employment. Staff were very friendly and helpful. With the skills I had learned when I finished in College I was well able to go and get a job.
Attending College of Commerce was a very positive experience for me. It helped to build my confidence to be able to return to work. The College is structured and managed well. It is really geared towards the workplace. Coursework is relevant and manageable. I secured work and started immediately after finishing the course. The information available on job vacancies was excellent. The staff are very efficient, friendly and helpful. Our class were very close and got on well together.