This QQI Level 6 course offers holders of a QQI Level 5 Health related award (e.g. Level 5 HCA or Nursing Studies) the opportunity to undertake further studies in the area. This award will equip the learner with the necessary knowledge, skills and competence to undertake supervisory roles in the caring environment
QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Health Services Supervisory Management Skills 6M4978
Manual handling and people moving training and certification (requirement for work experience)
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners needing Maths for progression)
Vulnerable Adult Awareness Certificate
MAPA (Management of Actual or Potential Aggression) Certification
Certificate in Adult CPR
€530 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €280)
Additional costs for vaccinations if required.
- Conflict Management 6N2775 – Learn methods and strategies for managing conflict problems including solving, negotiation, compromising etc. Utilise a range of methods to intervene in conflict situations in group and organisational life. Learn to critically assess the strengths and weaknesses associated with your personal style of conflict management in group or workplace context.
- Disability Awareness 6N1975 – Identify different types of disabilities to include physical disability, specific learning disabilities, mental illness, sensorial disabilities (specifically visual impairment), hearing loss and speech. Learn about epilepsy and diabetes and how they impact on an individuals life. Develop strategies to minimise the difficulties caused to individuals with disabilities. Explore assistive technologies. Examine how employees with disabilities can be supported and accommodated in the workplace.
- Gerontology 6N3748 – Understand the ageing process and recognise a range of factors that might contribute to physical and psychological decline. Gain an insight into the pathological changes that occur in adulthood and ageing. Explore services and entitlements available to facilitate independent living. Appreciate the importance of providing emotional support through ageing, death and dying.
- Health Promotion 6N2214 – Understand the importance of raising the awareness of health related issues with individuals and within the community. Understand how to effectively evaluate health promotion programmes and organise a health promotion event relevant to the local community.
- Team Leadership 6N1948 – Participate in organisational planning and teamwork planning to include setting, specific measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound (SMART) objectives. Demonstrate team leadership to include team building, supporting team members at different stages of team development, motivation strategies, interpersonal communications etc. Negotiate a plan with team members involving effective delegation of tasks and responsibilities. Lead progress on a work plan taking corrective action to ensure successful completion of the plan.
- Supervisory Management 6N4329 – Describe the key steps required to recruit staff to include, screening, application forms, shortlisting etc. Devise a system for maintaining work-related records e.g. work rosters and maintenance schedules etc. Learn to train staff drawing on up-to-date industry standards in training . Prepare a departmental budget. Learn to carry out staff evaluation.
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
- Human Resource Management 6N3750 – Generate appropriate recruitment and selection documentation to include job specification, person specification and marking sheets. Devise an interview strategy for a vacancy to include an appropriate interview environment, panel and set of interview questions. Understand training and development procedures in an organisation. Evaluate good performance management and reward systems.
For entry to Level 6 a full QQI Level 5 Award in a complementary area is required. This course requires students to be garda vetted.
- Professional guest lecturers
- MAPA (Management of Actual or Potential Aggression) Training
- Attend workshops and conferences
- One day a week work placement which students are required to source
- Holistics workshop
- Certificate in Adult CPR
- Certificate in Vulnerable Adult Awareness
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Supervisory and administrative roles in Nursing homes, hospitals, private homecare sector, intellectual disability environments. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
I found my time in the cork college of commerce a wonderful experience, it gave me the opportunity to follow my dreams. I achieved my first choice General Nursing in Trinity and it was due to the help of the staff and the friends I made in the CCOC.
The Course was of great advantage to me as it gained me entry to nursing in UCC. The knowledge and skills I received on the course has made the course in UCC much more manageable.
My time in the CCOC helped me achieve my goal of entering UCC as Mental Health Student Nurse. The course was hard work but always enjoyable thanks to the staff who couldn’t be nicer.