This QQI/ITEC certificate & diploma equips students with the skills to work as a make-up artist for Fashion, Theatre & Film industries including special effects. The students will work with cutting edge products and equipment in the newly refurbished college make-up studio under the guidance of highly trained professional staff.
ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Make-Up
QQI Level 5 Make-Up Artistry Award 5M5265
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
Phorest Salon Software Certificate
€613, this cost includes ITEC and QQI examination fees.(Medical card holders exempt from €250). Approx. €1,200 for uniforms, kits and certain course materials which will be paid directly to suppliers on registration day.
- Fashion & Media Make-Up 5N4627 – Learn all aspects of makeup design & application for Fashion shows & photographic work – professional photoshoots are part of this module
- Period and Theatrical Make-Up 5N4632 – Explore the history of Makeup & specialised applications used for theatrical looks including pantomime, ageing and character transformations
- Postiche 5N4633 – Learn the art of hair-piece making to include making a bespoke beard/moustache for an individual
- Skincare Eye Treatments and Make-Up 5N3466 – Explore all areas of skincare & eye treatments to include: skin analysis, skincare, facial procedures, specialised products, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting & shaping and makeup for special ocassions
- Specialised Make-Up Effects 5N4634 – Understand specialised areas of Makeup Artistry required for the Film, Television, Theatre & Photographic industries. Make bespoke pieces to create special effects e.g. bald-caps, realistic aging, scarring, wounds, burns, bruising, effects & pieces to create different shapes to an actors appearance e.g. alien or animal effects
Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Customer Service 5N0972
- Professional Conduct and Business Awareness ITEC-learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business in the Makeup Artistry Industry, subjects include business, health & safety
Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants, experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications. Applicants will need to demonstrate an interest in Make-Up Artistry at interview and must bring with them a portfolio of make-up work completed by them as evidence of their interest. This should include at least 5 photographs of theatrical or fashion (e.g. debs or wedding) style work.
- Professional guest lecturers
- Introduction to Phorest salon software
- One day a week work placement which students are required to source
- State of the Art practical rooms
- Practical training workshops
CCOC QQI Advanced Certificate in Business, Beauty Specialist (Business 6M4985)
CCOC ITEC Beauty Therapy
Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT) Dun Laoghaire, BA Design for Screen and Stage (Make-Up Design)
Southhampton Solent University – BA (Hons) Makeup & Hair Design
Free-Lance Makeup Artist, Theatrical Makeup Artist, Film/Television Makeup Artist, Product trainer, Sales Representative, Retail Industry, Nail Technician Trainer. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
I’m so thrilled I decided to go to CCOC, it really has changed my life I’ve met life long friends. In November 2015 I opened up my own holistic room in the main street of Midleton called Serendipity Holistic Haven and I’m loving this new exciting adventure that hopefully will continue to go on for years to come. If you’re reading this unsure of what to do, go for it, make the right decision, you won’t be sorry and will truly enjoy the experience.
I completed The Nail technician course in The College of Commerce and I am now Manager of Nails Inc. in Brown Thomas on Patrick Street. I found the course extremely helpful and it gave me a great foundation in the Industry. I still have a very good relationship with the Collage and I guest speak to the students on an annual basis in regard to working in the Industry and any help or advice I can give them.
As part of my work experience I was the make up artist for two short films being made by another college. This was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about the production of films and what its like to be on set as a make up artist. Since the course I am working as a freelance artist doing weddings, photo shoots and theatre work. I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking of becoming a make up artist.