This course aims to develop beauty product expertise while at the same time providing the practical selling and reception skills so essential to beauty/spa consultancy in the retail sector. It is ideal for anyone who wants to represent the public face of a beauty/spa industry as it marries beauty skills with a firm administrative capability enabling graduate to run the office whilst at the same time marketing the product/service
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Retail Practice 5M2105
ITEC Beauty Specialist Level 2
Phorest Salon Software Certificate
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
€589 including QQI and ITEC examination fees. Kits and uniforms are extra costs at approx €450 (Medical card holders exempt from €250)
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success.
- Digital Marketing 5N1364 – Choose appropriate e-tools to implement a digital marketing strategy. Plan a digital marketing campaign from inception to completion. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns using analytical e-tools. Outline the stages of analysis, development, implementation and control of digital marketing campaigns. Use e-tools including web analytics, social media monitoring, social bookmarking to monitor digital marketing campaigns.
- Skincare, Eye treatments and Make-up 5N3466 – Learn about all areas of skincare & eye treatments to including skin analysis, skincare, facial procedures, specialised products, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting & shaping and makeup application for special occasions
- Retail Administration 5N1860 – Analyse key features of retail outlets including department stores, common multiples etc. Learn about current retail legislation e.g. Sale of Goods and Supplies Services Act and Consumer Protection Act. Evaluate the range of banking services available to the retail organisation. Examine the impact of a range of strategies on an organisation’s profitability including training, quality, sources of finance, credit control and stock control. Process business documents including credit notes, invoices, purchase orders etc.
- Retail Display 5N1861 – Learn about visual merchandising display. Design a retail display to include appropriate materials and construction. Employ graphics to communicate pricing and offers to customers of a retail outlet. Suggest suitable display types for a range of retail contexts including self service, personal service etc.
- Retail Selling 5N1619 – Learn the technologies currently used in the retail sector including cash registers, bar code scanners, stock security devices etc. Learn about customer loyalty, merchandising, retail ethics and training and communication skills.Learn how to open and close a sale, deal with complaints or present alternative products.
- Teamworking 5N1367 – Participate in core team-working activities to include negotiation, problem solving, finding solutions, decision making and conflict resolution. Demonstrate appropriate communications, problem solving and negotiation techniques in a range of team-working situations and roles to include leadership roles and give a receive feedback. Monitor personal strengths and skills as a team participant.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- ITEC Beauty Specialist Level 2 – Learn about care of the skin, to include cleansing, skin analysis, pre-heat treatments, exfoliation, facial massage and the use of face masks in addition to care of the eye brows and eye lashes to include shaping and lash and brow tinting
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview
- Two week work placement
- Introduction to Phorest salon software
- Professional guest lecturers/workshops
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course.
Beauty counters in large department stores, self employment, beauty advisor/reception in salons and spas. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
I’m so thrilled I decided to go to CCOC, it really has changed my life I’ve met life long friends. In November 2015 I opened up my own holistic room in the main street of Midleton called Serendipity Holistic Haven and I’m loving this new exciting adventure that hopefully will continue to go on for years to come. If you’re reading this unsure of what to do, go for it, make the right decision, you won’t be sorry and will truly enjoy the experience.
I completed The Nail technician course in The College of Commerce and I am now Manager of Nails Inc. in Brown Thomas on Patrick Street. I found the course extremely helpful and it gave me a great foundation in the Industry. I still have a very good relationship with the Collage and I guest speak to the students on an annual basis in regard to working in the Industry and any help or advice I can give them.
As part of my work experience I was the make up artist for two short films being made by another college. This was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about the production of films and what its like to be on set as a make up artist. Since the course I am working as a freelance artist doing weddings, photo shoots and theatre work. I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking of becoming a make up artist.