We strive to create a college and learning environment that facilitates all learners to achieve success by building a career in the workplace/industry. An appointment can be made with a career guidance counsellor to discuss and plan career options.
Job Market Preparation
- Personal Branding.
- How to job hunt.
- CV Review
- Interview Preparation
The Job’s Hub (Job advice centre) is a support service to help students in their job search. Students can make individual appointments throughout the year, getting detailed and individual attention on where and how to apply for jobs, CV and cover letters, interview preparation/tips etc. Business image workshops are offered throughout the year and motivational speakers also provide input.
Job Vacancies Information Register
All our graduates are invited to sign up with our Job’s Register so that over the years after they leave they have access to all employment opportunities that come into the College. All students on the register get notifications of relevant employment opportunities that may arise.
Industry Mentoring, Guest Speakers and membership of Professional Bodies
Many of our work placement companies provide the college with up to date information on skills and knowledge required for our courses to be aligned to workplace needs. The college is very proud of its level of involvement in industry.
Industry professionals visit the college on a weekly basis providing insights, wisdom and advice as well as the motivation and energy that lead to success.
The college has membership of a number of professional bodies that allow staff and students to network, engage with industry professionals and open door to careers.
Most courses facilitate exposure with employers through site visits which enable students to build on individual and corporate knowledge.
Start your own Business Conference
This conference involves input from financial services, local enterprise office, and keynote industry speakers, providing information necessary for those people to develop their business acumen. Many of our courses allow students to set up their own business sometime in the future. Every year in February, an event is held in the college.
LinkedIn Alumni & Business Community
All of our students and graduates are invited to join with industry professionals in our Alumni & Business Community LinkedIn Group for internship and recruitment purposes and networking.
Industry Supported Student Competitions
A number of opportunities are given to students to present their work and themselves to industry professionals in a competitive environment, during the year.
Many local employers provide work experience opportunities to our students. Some partake in work experience throughout the academic year, others partake in block placement ranging from 2 – 4 weeks. While on placement all students are fully insured by the college. Students are advised and encouraged to find their own placement, simulating real life, but (for level 5 courses) the college and the facility and the placement can be centrally organised by college staff.
Work experience facilitates people beginning in, or returning to a work place environment. It also aids future employment opportunities as contacts made are for life! Employers may use work experience as a way of recruitment as they meet and see how a person fits in and contributes to their organisation.
Benefits of Work Experience
- When looking for a job after you qualify previous work experience is essential and can be used as a reference by future employers.
- Unsure about your career choice? Work experience allows you to see if you would like doing a job on a day-to-day basis.
- As well as the working in a real work environment you meet people who are already working in the area and can ask them questions about the job.
- You can also see and learn about related jobs in the same field, which offers you more ideas about what kind of career you might go into.
- To get work experience in your chosen area shows future employers that you are interested in working in the industry.
- Gain insight into a particular organisation that you may be interested in working in after you qualify.
- Getting work experience in different areas helps you to make a decision if you are unsure about which direction to take.
- It is a great introduction to the world of work – you gain new skills and knowledge, meet new people, learn to deal with different situations.
- You will see and understand your personal strengths and weaknesses by undertaking work experience.
- You may get a job from work experience, an employer may see you as someone who fits in well in the organisation.
- Even if you do not get a job you meet people in the industry and form valuable contacts.
- It will enhance and add weight to your CV!
Recruitment Registration day
Every March, an extensive range of recruitment agencies are invited to participate in our Recruitment Registration Day. Leading employers Companies have requested to come on site to recruit students for jobs following completion of their course – part time and full time job vacancies.
The college continuously liaises with industry and potential employers to keep our courses up to date and ensure that our courses are ‘fit for purpose’.
Practical application learning
Many courses include additional features, to ensure that on completion of the course, students will be best placed for jobs in their areas of study. Work Experience/Work Placement All courses in the college include work experience.
Professional guest lecturers
During the academic year a number of invited guest speakers give presentations on their course.