This executive traineeship involves a full academic year programme followed by a three-month work placement for those ambitious to pursue a career as a professional accountant. You will study towards the Certificate in Business and Accounting qualification accredited by CPA. It is a great way to demonstrate to employers your level of knowledge and capabilities and it will equip you with a set of skills for a range of roles in business. Applicants in receipt of certain social welfare payments may be fully funded on this course and receive a training allowance.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
1 year (college academic year plus 3 months work placement)
Certificate in Business and Accounting accredited by CPA Ireland. This course constitutes one level of the four level professional CPA programme.
QQI Component Certificate
CETB certificate in Payroll
If you are in receipt of certain social welfare payments this course may be fully funded and you may receive a training allowance.
- Management in Organisations – Understand the development of management theory and practice, with particular reference to concepts, functions and the integration of activities. Learn about the environmental factors which influence the success of an organisation, and explore the role of critical and creative thinking in problem solving and decision making. Understand current issues in management, including business ethics and corporate social responsibility. Describe the role, functions and impact of human resource management in an organisation. Learn about the impact of environmental factors on an organisation.
- Business Law and Professional Ethics – Understand the principles and practice of business law and case law relating to the role and work of an accountant. Learn the ethical standards necessary for a career in professional accountancy. Understand when the engagement of a legal expert is required. Learn about sources of law, the law of Tort, Sale of Goods and Supply of Services legislation, contract law, company and partnership law
- Economics and Business – Learn about the nature and scope of economics (including micro- and macro-economics) and related business planning, with a focus on the practical application of theoretical concepts. Understand how national and international factors impact upon wealth creation and business development. Learn how to use analytical techniques and mathematical approaches for business planning
- Accounting – Understand the historical development of accounting together with identifying the users of accounting information and their requirements. Learn how to use the principles and procedures of double-entry bookkeeping to prepare ﬁnancial statements for a sole trader. Understand how to prepare a cash-ﬂow budget. Learn how to interpret ﬁnancial statements and prepare accounting information for management control and decision-making. Learn how to apply cost-volume-proﬁt analysis techniques.
- Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised 5N1354 (using Sage) – Learn to record business transactions , post to ledgers and draw up a trial balance using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package. Use Sage accounts software to record day-to-day financial transactions in a business
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Payroll – learn how to calculate payroll for individuals in a range of practical circumstances. Learn how to use a manual and a computerised payroll system. Understand how to complete a range of statutory payroll forms.
A pass in at least 6 subjects in the Leaving Certificate, three of which must be higher level C or above. Two of the six subjects must be English and Maths. No accountancy required. Mature applicants (over 23) should enquire about eligibility directly as experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
- Professional guest lecturers
- Sales Institute and marketing event participation
- 3 month work placement
- Entrepreneurial skills workshop
As a CPA Accounts Executive, you can continue your studies with the CPA qualification on a part time basis and work towards becoming a qualified Certified Public Accountant.
Financial Services across the public sector, accountancy practices, industry, self-employment
I am a 26 year old qualified accountant working in Quintas Partners in Cork City, I have this week took a senior accountant role within this firm which will give me the platform to progress in my career and achieve my goals I set in 2007 when I started my journey in Cork College of Commerce.
The CPA Certificate in Business and Accounting was an excellent introduction to Accounting and Business for me. It contains all the theory as well as practical elements needed to start my career as an accountant. The lecturers were knowledgeable, experienced and always happy to answer any questions i may have and the administrative team in place went out of their way to help me secure a place and access funding from the Cork Education Training Board which enabled me to afford to undertake the course. I am now employed on a 3 year Training contract with an established accounting practice here in Cork city. I cannot recommend this course enough to anyone who is thinking of setting out on an accounting career.
I have recently completed the CPA Business & Accounting Traineeship in Cork College of Commerce. As a mature student, returning to third level education was very daunting. I cannot speak highly enough of the support and motivation I received from the tutors and course coordinator. The small class size ensured that help was always on hand and there was a very positive and friendly learning atmosphere. Classes are not just about gaining knowledge required to succeed in the exams but also gaining an understanding of the subject through real life examples and building confidence in my own abilities. I genuinely enjoyed my time in CCOC and would highly recommend both the course and the college. They have changed my life for the better and given me the confidence I needed to progress in my career.