This course is of value to those who are interested in working as Legal Administrators or who would like to prepare for a career in the legal profession by progressing to Higher Education. It is a useful pre-university option. The students learn all of the pertinent legal terms desirable to work in a legal office, receive a good grounding in basic law and a feel for the specialism they have chosen.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Legal Studies 5M3789
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
CCOC Certificate in Legal Evolve
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250)
- Audio Transcription 5N1549 – Transform verbal and audio materials into text in the form of written or typed work incorporating the use of an audio transcription software package. Conquer punctuation, grammar, spelling, sentence construction and proof reading.
- Family Law 5N3786 – Develop an understanding of a particularly sensitive area of legal practice which requires both legal practitioners and administrators to display knowledge, empathy and attention to detail
- Business Law 5N2091 – Explain the nature of contract and the essential features and terms of a valid contract. Explain what constitutes breach of contract and the available remedies. Reflect on the role and impact of EU legislation on Irish business activity and work practices and on the Irish consumer. Examine the main provisions of employment legislation and explore the area of consumer protection and consumer rights.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Criminal Law 5N3787 – Examine the classification of crime. Examine the structure of the criminal justice system. Explore the concept of an arrest. Explore the purpose of and main defences to a crime. Examine the offences against property theft, burglary, etc.
- Legal Practice and Procedures 5N1394 – Understand the role of the constitution in the Irish legal system, legal terminology and the structure of the Irish court system. Describe proceedings in a court of law. Explore the impact of European law on the Irish system. Evaluate documents and legislation in your relevant area. Identify main categories of remedies e.g compensation etc.
- Text Production 5N1422 -Learn to produce a range of documents to a mailable standard, within a minimum speed of 35 words per minute
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Two week work placement
- Professional guest lecturers
- Training in Case Management System, Legal Evolve
- Participation in Law Workshop in UCC
- Court visits
CCOC QQI Advanced Certificate in Legal Administration (Business 6M4985)
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
As a graduate of this course you can pursue careers in a range of area including legal secretary, legal researcher, paralegal work and general administration. All students have access to our Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
Last year I did QQI Level 5 Certificate in Office Administration, Medical and Dental Receptionist. I found the College of Commerce most welcoming and the teachers so helpful and encouraging. I gained confidence in myself as a person and found the whole experience helped me in my future career.
I found myself going back to education after 10 years, it was daunting but helped me grow and showed me how enjoyable college life can be. I got a full-time job in the dental practice where I did my work experience and am now continuing my education in UCC.
I was a student of Level 5 Reception and Customer Care. It was a wonderful course where I gained much confidence.The Cork College of Commerce opened up new paths and the experience was invaluable. Overall I would say that the Cork College of Commerce was a wonderful College.