This course focuses on the key skills required to design, develop and test software that behaves reliably and efficiently. Students will learn about how to build commercially sound and robust applications for mobile devices and desktops.
- Fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming 5N0541 Programming using Java (IDE: Eclipse) to design, build, test (using TestNG) and deploy Object Oriented applications.
- Software Architecture 5N2772 Techniques to build industry standard software using traditional SDLCs and Agile methodologies (including Scrum, Kanban and Extreme Programming). Create UML diagrams (including use-case and class diagrams), and auto-generate Java code within Eclipse.
- Database Methods 5N0783 Use Microsoft Access to create a database with related tables, query that data, and produce meaningful reports. Free access to Office 365 or Mobile Technologies 5N0580 Develop, install, configure, test, deploy, and maintain mobile apps using Android Studio, with appreciation for the front-end user, and adherence to industry standard coding at the back-end.
- Web Authoring 5N1910 Build professional websites using HTML and CSS.
- Networking Essentials 5N2929 Connect digital devices using private, non-routable IPv4 addressing, and test connectivity using diagnostic tools. Build and deploy a LAN, and implement and manage network resources.
- Maths for Information Technology 5N18396 Acquire mathematical skill in problem solving and mathematical investigations in the following areas: basic arithmetic and algebra, set theory and Boolean logic, functions and calculus , geometry and trigonometry, probability and statistics, and algorithms and computations.
- Communications 5N0690 Development of interpersonal and other professional skills.
- Work Experience 5N1356 Preparation for the work place, and a 2-week work placement in industry.
Leaving Certificate with at least a pass grade in mathematics or relevant computer experience. For mature applicants experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
- Two week work placement
- Professional guest lecturers
- Site visits
- Data Analytics workshop
CCOC QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Software Development 6M0691
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
On successful completion of a full award, the student can apply for an entry level position as a programmer, an app developer, a website developer or a networks technician. The student is also very employable as a customer service operator, especially in the area of troubleshooting general computer problems.All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
Having attended CCOC I felt it gave me a solid grounding in a diverse range of topics within IT, this diversity helped me to understand the area of IT I would like to pursue and ultimately shaped my career. The work experience arranged by CCOC during my course kick-started my career and I will be forever thankful to the dedicated team. I would highly recommend Cork College of Commerce to any prospective student looking for a start in an information technology career.
For years I thought further education wasn’t for me, I didn’t think I would have the skills or drive to succeed in college. Finding myself out of work, I decided to give it one last chance and return to education at the Cork College of Commerce to study Software Development. What struck me most about the college was the atmosphere the lecturers created. They were enthusiastic and genuinely wanted you to do well and in turn you wanted to do well too, it was invigorating. I actually began enjoying education for probably the first time in my life as I realised I could achieve something. I was given all the tools and support I needed to succeed. I am now studying Computer Science as a mature student in UCC and wouldn’t be here without their help
The Computer Science course in the College of Commerce appealed to me because the modules looked interesting and I would get a qualification after one year and could then seek employment or progress to further studies. Applying for the course was the best decision I made. The teachers on the course are great, they made classes interesting and cared about each student. I would thoroughly recommend the Computer Science to anyone interested in ultimately working in IT.