Get the best national and international professional qualification available to work as an accounting technician. Become skilled in all of the key financial aspects of accounting for any business.
- Financial Accounting – learn about the fundamentals of accounting including accounting concepts, principles, legislation and procedures. Understand double-entry bookkeeping and preparation of financial statements. Learn how to interpret and analyse financial statements.
- Taxation – develop knowledge and skills to perform taxation computations for a range of situations involving individuals or businesses. Learn about administration of taxes, personal taxation, the Pay as You earn system, and Value Added Tax.
- Business Management –Understand how the main business functions in a business operate. Learn about the roles and practices of the modern manager (including the essentials of marketing and Information Systems). Identify, analyse and address key managerial concerns in corporate governance, ethics and corporate social responsibility.
- Law & Ethics – Understand the key concepts and fundamental principles of law, corporate governance and ethics. Learn about the principles of company law.
- Spreadsheets Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised 5N1354 (using Sage) – Learn to record business transactions , post to ledgers and draw up a trial balance using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package. Use Sage accounts software to record day-to-day financial transactions in a business.
- Advanced Financial Accounting – Learn how to prepare financial statements for partnerships and limited companies, together with preparing financial statements from incomplete records. Develop an ability to critically analyse and interpret financial statements and communicate in a professional manner to relevant parties. Understand the regulatory framework in accounting.
- Advanced Taxation – Develop an in-depth knowledge of the administration and procedures involved in the Irish tax system. Learn to prepare personal tax computations at an advanced level together with learning about Capital Gains Tax and PRSI. Study Corporation Tax and Relevant Contracts Tax.
- Management Accounting – Develop knowledge and technical competency in the area of management accounting to support business functions, activities and decision-making. Study costing terms and concepts, cost accumulation for Inventory and Profit Measurement, and learn about Standard Costing together with Budgetary Planning and Control.
- Integrated Accounted Systems – Learn to align your theoretical accounting education with practical applications used in the workplace. Gain proficiency in payroll, accounting and spreadsheet software that will maximize your contribution to the professional environment.
School leavers must have a Leaving Certificate with either:
- At least five O5 grades in 5 Ordinary level subjects (including English and either Mathematics or Accounting) or
- At least two H6 grades in Higher Level subjects and two O5 grades in Ordinary level subjects (to include English and either Mathematics or Accounting at either level).
For mature applicants who have reached 21 years of age (by 1st January of the year in which they wish to commence the course), experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
Progression opportunities available for study with the following accounting bodies (exemptions available):
- Chartered Accountants Ireland, CPA
CIT: Accounting (CR400) Year 3 (bridging modules required)
Tralee: Business (Accounting) (TL831) Year 2 Entry.
Accounting Technicians can perform a wide range of finance roles in industry ranging from accounts assistant roles up to financial controller roles. They also can work in an accounting practice in auditing or taxation roles ranging from junior assistant up to manager levels. Exemptions are available from examinations of some of the professional accountancy bodies.
- Duration: 2 years
- Fees: €1200 for year 1 and €1140 for year 2. These costs include IATI registration and examination fees. Medical card holders exempt from €220. See payment for details.
- Certificate for Accounting Technicians (after Year 1)
- Diploma for Accounting Technicians (after Year 2 plus 2 years of relevant work).
- QQI component certificate
- Work Experience: Students will undertake a mandatory 5 week work placement before the commencement of their second year.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.
After completing ,y two years in Cork College of Commerce, I did two weeks work experience and was then offered a job as Assistant Accountant in Charles. P. Crowely & Co. accountants.
I loved my marketing and event management course in CCOC. It is a great college where you get a lot of support and help from your tutors. It gave me the confidence to pursue higher education, which I am currently studying a degree in Marketing and Multimedia at the University of Roehampton.
I am a 26 year old qualified accountant working in Quintas Partners in Cork City, I have this week took a senior accountant role within this firm which will give me the platform to progress in my career and achieve my goals I set in 2007 when I started my journey in Cork College of Commerce
CCOC provided me with the encouraging, supportive & motivating environment I needed to excel in my studies & progress to UWSTD where I completed my Marketing degree with just one further year study there. The high marks I received in my degree was testament to the three years I spent in CCOC being constantly challenged & supported by brilliant teachers, as is my job as a Marketing Executive. The personal approach was one of my best aspects, everyone’s needs were catered for individually and there was no “one size fits all” attitude.