If you think that you would like to be working in the admin hub at the frontline in any organisation, then this course was designed for you. Learn all of the key skills required to be the ‘go to’ person in a busy organisational hub, reception area or to be the sole admin member in a smaller business.
- Business Administration Skills 5N1610– Examine a range of recruitment options for selecting and appointing staff and current employment rights legislation. Maintain a range of documents pertaining to HR management and employees including employment contracts, attendance records etc. Explore sources of finance for a business including cash-flow. Examine different types of meetings held and complete a range of documentation necessary for the effective function of a meeting. Explain the role of quality systems.
- Reception and Front Line Skills 5N1407– Learn about displaying a professional approach to receiving visitors and using effective customer service skills, upkeep of visitors logbook, dealing with complaints. Apply a range of general administrative skills within the reception and/or front office context to include booking and preparing for conference, organising visitors waiting area, arranging appointments, preparing an itinerary, making reservations, providing information to visitors etc.
- Teamworking 5N1367 – Participate in core team-working activities to include negotiation, problem solving, finding solutions, decision making and conflict resolution. Demonstrate appropriate communications, problem solving and negotiation techniques in a range of team-working situations and roles to include leadership roles and give a receive feedback. Monitor personal strengths and skills as a team participant.
- Database Methods 5N0783 – Use MS Access to create databases from design specifications under a time constraint. Learn to manipulate information from databases and retrieve and output in report format.
- Spreadsheets 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Word Processing 5N1385 – Learn to produce professional mailable document. Learn file management and a host of functions including clipart, headers, footers, watermarks, graphics, tabs etc.
- Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised 5N1354 – Learn to record business transactions , post to ledgers and draw up a trial balance using both a manual accounting system and a computerised package.
- Data Protection
- Microsoft Outlook
- CRM software
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progressions opportunities including:
- CIT: Business Studies (CR021)
- UCC: Commerce (CK201)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Business & Administration 6M4985
- CCOC: Level 6 Advanced Marketing with Event Management 6M4985
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Tourism & Hospitality (Tourism with Business) 6M5012
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Marketing with Event Management (Business) 6M4985
Great progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Any business office environment. Past students have been employed in numerous administrative positions such as Apple Computers, UCC, Cork City Council, Cork County Council and many other businesses.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Administration 5M2468
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in evening for learners needing Maths or Statistics for progression).
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in an office environment.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.
College of Commerce has given me the skills and experience to work in IT. I really loved my time there with my class mates and teachers. The structure of the course prepared me for the workplace. When I was doing my exams I felt fully prepared as my teachers put in much time and effort for each one of us. The coursework was detailed and I really liked what I was doing. The course boosted my confidence and prepared me well for the job I have now. It opened my mind to many opportunities. The staff were so helpful and I had amazing teachers. I met and made many great friends. I am now working in Abtran for Sky Ireland and this course got me there.
This is a really good College. The teachers were very helpful and I met great friends. Exams were frequent which I found great to keep us interested and focused. The coursework was varied so we got a taste for everything. My confidence really increased and it made me more outgoing. There were many job opportunities and I am now in full time employment. Staff were very friendly and helpful. With the skills I had learned when I finished in College I was well able to go and get a job.
Attending College of Commerce was a very positive experience for me. It helped to build my confidence to be able to return to work. The College is structured and managed well. It is really geared towards the workplace. Coursework is relevant and manageable. I secured work and started immediately after finishing the course. The information available on job vacancies was excellent. The staff are very efficient, friendly and helpful. Our class were very close and got on well together.