This course builds on business knowledge and skills already attained. Its multidisiplinary nature provides students with a broad subject base from which to progress. There is a strong emplasis on application to the business/administration world through the use of simulated scenarios. It aims to enhance students’ communication, presentation, teamworking, research, analytical and problem solving skills thereby preparing participants for further study or entry to work. Students participate in Institute events. Options are available for international students to gain an advanced qualification with extra English language support.
- Business Law 6N4045 – Develops an understanding of the important legal issues which may arise in the modern commercial environment. Explore a diverse range of commercial legal topics including company, consumer and property law.
- Business Management 6N4310 – understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
- Communications 6N1950 – builds on the core communications skills gained at level 5 while allowing the learner, working independently and or in a supervisory capacity, to develop such qualities as tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience necessary for communicating with staff/clients in a professional setting.
- Finance 6N4165 – Learn to understand the financial statements of an organisation by preparing a detailed financial report using key accounting ratios. Understand costing systems such as absorption and marginal costing. Prepare financial budgets and evaluate capital expenditure projects in order to provide management with information for decision making or Banking and Insurance 6N4168 or Entrepreneurship 6N1941.
- English as a second Language ESOL (optional).
- Marketing Communications 6N4370 – Develop an advertising campaign to include setting objectives, identifying target audience, determining budget. Analyse how effective database marketing can improve customer relationships including the impact of the internet, mobile communications and social media as direct marketing tools. Research public relations to include the various PR tools and their effectiveness.
- Spreadsheets 6N4089 – Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
- Professional Presentation 6N4006
- Digital Marketing: An introduction to the world of digital marketing. This workshop is designed to enable participants to take their digital campaigns to another level. Learners will understand the difference between traditional and digital marketing, as well as understanding the digital environment.
- Problem Solving: This workshop gives the learner some basic skills to improve problem solving. The content includes understanding what problem solving really involves on a personal and team level, identifying types of information to gather and key questions to ask in problem solving. Additionally, Identifying the importance of defining a problem correctly, how to apply a structured approach to problem solving and gaining familiarity with tools and techniques available through practical activity will also be included.
- Professional Image and Style Workshop: This workshop offers an insight into grooming and styling for the professional world. It covers a wide range of topics such as dressing for your shape, colour analysis and making the most of your wardrobe. Essential for those going on work experience or job interview.
Full QQI level 5 award in Business Studies/Administration or other relevant award. It is desirable that Spreadsheet Methods is included. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- UCC: Commerce (CK201) Year 2 Entry
- CIT: Business (CR021) Year 2 entry
- IT Tralee: Business (TL831) Year 2 Entry
Other excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Financial Services, Accounts Assistant, Customer Service/Marketing Representative, Retail, Office/Business Administrator.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €530 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €280). See payment for details.
- QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
- Work Experience: Students will undertake work experience one day per week in a business/administration setting for the duration of the course, which they organise themselves. A college based simulated office is available to help students transition to the world of work.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.
I loved everything abouyt my course. I met some good friends, the teachers were very helpful and understanding. All classes were well organised and interesting. Thank you for taking care of me!
My experience doing advanced business was really good, a challenging course that gave me more knowledge of the business world, weekly work experience was really great. I was able to see how a company works on daily basis and I learned a lot from it
As for the College and the course, I will say that it was a great experience for me, if not challenging. I have built confidence in myself through the public speaking seminars and assignments, and I found that whenever I was unsure with my work, I got the help I needed. I had to work hard and with that determination, I landed not only a spot in UCC, but my teachers noticed me and have recommended me for excellent job placements. This has given me great options and opportunities. I am so grateful to the teachers and staff of the College of Com because they truly do push their students for success.
I am thrilled to have passed well in CCOC . I am trying to improve my literacy and hope to do leaving cert English next June. I hope to then head to CIT to do level 7 Buisness. I am in touch with them and I am encouraged by their feedback. Thanks for all your support.
The courses in the Cork College of Commerce were amazing. I now feel confident as a second year student in CIT because I got all the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in College of Commerce.
I would like to thank the College of Commerce teachers for all their help and support. I had two brilliant years in the College of Commerce studying Business, with help from amazing teachers and in a great environment.
I am now studying Law and Business in UCC which was my dream course.
Attending Cork College of Commerce level 6 business greatly prepared me for progressing to CIT to complete a business degree and prepare me for a future in business with a good knowledge of industry, and confidence to discuss business with my peers.
After completing two years studying Business in the Cork College of Commerce, I am now delighted with my progress. CCOC gave me the confidence and knowledge I have, which helped me to get into my dream course in CIT.
It may take a year extra than everyone else, but it is 100% worth it in the long run.
I believe going to CCOC was the best educational choice I made. I am now in Cork institute of Technology (CIT) studying Business Administration level 7, all thanks to CCOC.
Returning to education after such long period of time was daunting but the teachers at college of commerce made it much more easier with their openness making the transition straight forward. I completed the level 5 and 6 certificates in business in the college, which gave me the grounding needed for the world of business. I’m currently continuing my studies in CIT, this is something I know I wouldn’t have done without the knowledge and help i received during my two years in Cork College of commerce, which included a once in a lifetime trip to China.
During my time studying in the Cork College of Commerce one of the things that struck me was the superb efficiency in which the school was run given the relatively small contingent of staff in proportion to the number of students. My spell in the college was the ideal catalyst to get me to my current studies as a mature business student in Cork Institute of Technology.
My name is Kamile Pociute. I studied Business Studies in Cork College of Commerce in 2015. I was lucky enough to spend two weeks in Shanghai University, all courtesy of the Confucius Institute and the College of Commerce. It was a wonderful, life- changing experience. I am now studying Commerce and Chinese in UCC and I am looking forward to spending my 3rd year studying in university in Shanghai. It all started with the College of Commerce! I could not have achieved this without the College of Commerce. It was well worth spending an extra year in College to get into my dream course.