- Business Law 6N4045 – Develops an understanding of the important legal issues which may arise in the modern commercial environment. Explore a diverse range of commercial legal topics including company, consumer and property law.
- Business Management 6N4310 – understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
- Communications 6N1950 – builds on the core communications skills gained at level 5 while allowing the learner, working independently and or in a supervisory capacity, to develop such qualities as tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience necessary for communicating with staff/clients in a professional setting.
- Finance 6N4165 – Learn to understand the financial statements of an organisation by preparing a detailed financial report using key accounting ratios. Understand costing systems such as absorption and marginal costing. Prepare financial budgets and evaluate capital expenditure projects in order to provide management with information for decision making.
- Sales and Marketing Management 6N3613 – Devise and after sales service policy for an organisation including interpersonal skills required when dealing with a dissatisfied customer and how new sales opportunities can be created from after sales service. Design sales management techniques to meet the needs of a range of organisations to include appropriate marketing and selling key performance indicators. Estimate the budgets and forecasting for sales and marketing plan.
- Spreadsheets 6N4089 – Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
- Professional Presentation 6N4006
- Digital Marketing: An introduction to the world of digital marketing. This workshop is designed to enable participants to take their digital campaigns to another level. Learners will understand the difference between traditional and digital marketing, as well as understanding the digital environment.
- Problem Solving: This workshop gives the learner some basic skills to improve problem solving. The content includes understanding what problem solving really involves on a personal and team level, identifying types of information to gather and key questions to ask in problem solving. Additionally, Identifying the importance of defining a problem correctly, how to apply a structured approach to problem solving and gaining familiarity with tools and techniques available through practical activity will also be included.
- Professional Image and Style Workshop: This workshop offers an insight into grooming and styling for the professional world. It covers a wide range of topics such as dressing for your shape, colour analysis and making the most of your wardrobe. Essential for those going on work experience or job interview.
Full QQI level 5 award in Business Studies/Administration or other relevant award. It is desirable that Spreadsheet Methods is included. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- UCC: Commerce (CK201) Year 2 Entry
- CIT/MTU: Business (CR021) Year 2 entry
- IT Tralee/MTU: Business (TL831) Year 2 Entry
Other excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT/MTU (CCPS), Tralee IT/MTU and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Financial Services, Accounts Assistant, Customer Service/Marketing Representative, Retail, Office/Business Administrator.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €530 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €280). See payment for details.
- QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
- Work Experience: Students will undertake work experience one day per week in a business/administration setting for the duration of the course, which they organise themselves. A college based simulated office is available to help students transition to the world of work.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.