This course builds on business knowledge and skills already attained. Its multidisiplinary nature provides students with a broad subject base from which to progress. There is a strong emplasis on application to the business world through the use of simulated scenarios. It aims to enhance students’ communication, presentation, teamworking, research, analytical and problem solving skills thereby preparing participants for further study or entry to work.
- Business Law 6N4045 – Develops an understanding of the important legal issues which may arise in the modern commercial environment. Explore a diverse range of commercial legal topics including company, consumer and property law.
- Business Management 6N4310 – understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
- Communications 6N1950 – builds on the core communications skills gained at level 5 while allowing the learner, working independently and or in a supervisory capacity, to develop such qualities as tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience necessary for communicating with staff/clients in a professional setting.
- Finance 6N4165 – Learn to understand the financial statements of an organisation by preparing a detailed financial report using key accounting ratios. Understand costing systems such as absorption and marginal costing. Prepare financial budgets and evaluate capital expenditure projects in order to provide management with information for decision making.
- Applied Economics 6N4091 – Identify the main characteristics of perfect competition and monopoly. Identify market structures. Understand gross domestic product, research the main instruments of fiscal and monetary policy.
- Marketing Communications 6N4370 – Develop an advertising campaign to include setting objectives, identifying target audience, determining budget. Analyse how effective database marketing can improve customer relationships including the impact of the internet, mobile communications and social media as direct marketing tools. Research public relations to include the various PR tools and their effectiveness.
- Spreadsheets 6N4089 – Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
Full QQI level 5 award in Business Studies other relevant award. It is desirable that Spreadsheet Methods is included. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Professional guest lecturers
- The Executive Institute event participation
- One day per week work placement in a business setting for the duration of the course which students are required to source themselves. A college based simulated office is available to help students’ transition to the world of work
- Entrepreneurial skills workshop
- Digital Marketing workshop
- Presentation skills workshop
- Problem Solving workshop
- Leadership/Entrepreneurship workshop with the Entrepreneurs Academy
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- UCC: Commerce (CK201) Year 2 Entry
- CIT: Business (CR021) Year 2 entry
- IT Tralee: Business (TL831) Year 2 Entry
Other excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Career Opportunities: Financial Services, Accounts Assistant, Customer Service/Marketing Representative, Retail, Office/Business Administrator. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
The course runs for 1 academic year. Advanced Business is a full time programme which runs from early September to mid May. Timetables vary from year to year.
QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression)
€530 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €280). See Payment for details.
Returning to education after such long period of time was daunting but the teachers at college of commerce made it much more easier with their openness making the transition straight forward. I completed the level 5 and 6 certificates in business in the college, which gave me the grounding needed for the world of business. I’m currently continuing my studies in CIT, this is something I know I wouldn’t have done without the knowledge and help i received during my two years in Cork College of commerce, which included a once in a lifetime trip to China.
During my time studying in the Cork College of Commerce one of the things that struck me was the superb efficiency in which the school was run given the relatively small contingent of staff in proportion to the number of students. My spell in the college was the ideal catalyst to get me to my current studies as a mature business student in Cork Institute of Technology.
My name is Kamile Pociute. I studied Business Studies in Cork College of Commerce in 2015. I was lucky enough to spend two weeks in Shanghai University, all courtesy of the Confucius Institute and the College of Commerce. It was a wonderful, life- changing experience. I am now studying Commerce and Chinese in UCC and I am looking forward to spending my 3rd year studying in university in Shanghai. It all started with the College of Commerce! I could not have achieved this without the College of Commerce. It was well worth spending an extra year in College to get into my dream course.