Further your skills and knowledge in Level 5 in Healthcare (or related areas) with a programme developed to meet the supervisory requirements of the health,caring and community sector. Learn with confidence to be a competent leader, supervising care teams, which serve the needs of clients and rely on nursing homes and support services.
- Inclusive Education and Practice 6N2226 -Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence required to work as an inclusive education practitioner taking responsibility for the promotion of inclusive education and training in a range of education and training contexts.
- Differentiated Learning and Instruction 6N2225 – Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence required to use differentiated learning and instruction strategies within a range of diverse learning environments.
- Disability Awareness 6N1975 – Identify different types of disabilities to include physical disability, specific learning disabilities, mental illness, sensorial disabilities (specifically visual impairment), hearing loss and speech. Learn about epilepsy and diabetes and how they impact on an individuals life. Develop strategies to minimise the difficulties caused to individuals with disabilities. Explore assistive technologies. Examine how employees with disabilities can be supported and accommodated in the workplace.
- Gerontology 6N3748 – Understand the ageing process and recognise a range of factors that might contribute to physical and psychological decline. Gain an insight into the pathological changes that occur in adulthood and ageing. Explore services and entitlements available to facilitate independent living. Appreciate the importance of providing emotional support through ageing, death and dying.
- Health Promotion 6N2214 – Understand the importance of raising the awareness of health related issues with individuals and within the community. Understand how to effectively evaluate health promotion programmes and organise a health promotion event relevant to the local community.
- Team Leadership 6N1948 – Participate in organisational planning and teamwork planning to include setting, specific measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound (SMART) objectives. Demonstrate team leadership to include team building, supporting team members at different stages of team development, motivation strategies, interpersonal communications etc. Negotiate a plan with team members involving effective delegation of tasks and responsibilities. Lead progress on a work plan taking corrective action to ensure successful completion of the plan.
- Supervisory Management 6N4329 – Describe the key steps required to recruit staff to include, screening, application forms, shortlisting etc. Devise a system for maintaining work-related records e.g. work rosters and maintenance schedules etc. Learn to train staff drawing on up-to-date industry standards in training . Prepare a departmental budget. Learn to carry out staff evaluation.
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace.
- Mental Health Awareness 6N2209 – Demonstrate an awareness of how body and mind interact to promote positive mental health. Learn about the ongoing interventions available in the community for people with enduring mental health difficulties (day centres, sheltered workshops, resource centres etc.). Recognise positive and negative factors which may affect mental health.Examine treatment approaches and their application (medication, physiotherapy, counselling etc.). Evaluate positive supports in the community which promote positive mental health e.g. yoga, pilates etc.
HSE Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk Certificate
MAPA (Management of Actual or Potential Aggression) Certification (optional)
For entry to Level 6 a full QQI Level 5 Award in a complementary area is required. This course requires students to be garda vetted. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Professional guest lecturers
- Organising college Health Promotion week
- MAPA (Management of Actual or Potential Aggression) Training (optional)
- Attend workshops and conferences
- Students will undertake a block work placement of a minimum of 80 hours, in a variety of community and health settings, which they organise themselves.
- Holistics workshop
- HSE Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk Training
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CIT: Social Care (CR031)
- UCC: Social Science (CK102)
- UCC: Youth & Community Work (CK114)
- WIT: Social Care Practice (WD192)
Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for CCOC students. Up to 390 CAO points for any IT can be attained. See Progressions for details.
Supervisory and administrative roles in Nursing homes, hospitals, private homecare sector, intellectual disability environments. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Inclusive Education and Training 6M2263.
QQI component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as an option in the evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression).
€530 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €280). See Payment for details.
I found my time in the cork college of commerce a wonderful experience, it gave me the opportunity to follow my dreams. I achieved my first choice General Nursing in Trinity and it was due to the help of the staff and the friends I made in the CCOC.
The Course was of great advantage to me as it gained me entry to nursing in UCC. The knowledge and skills I received on the course has made the course in UCC much more manageable.
My time in the CCOC helped me achieve my goal of entering UCC as Mental Health Student Nurse. The course was hard work but always enjoyable thanks to the staff who couldn’t be nicer.