Do you aspire to have a career in the world of fashion, theatre and film? Can you be the person who has the skill and flair to transform people into a variety of looks using specialist products and techniques, and create characters through the use of special e ects and artistry into other worlds? In this course you have the opportunity to work with cutting edge products in a state of the art Makeup Studio and build your portfolio for your future career.
QQI Level 5 Make-Up Artistry Award 5M5265
ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Make-Up
ITEC Level 2 Award in Style and Fit Postiche
ITEC Beauty Specialist Level 2
CCOC Phorest Salon Software Certificate
€759.50 – this cost includes ITEC and QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). Approx. €1,200 for uniforms, kits and certain course materials which will be paid directly to suppliers on registration day. See Payment for details.
- Fashion & Media Make-Up 5N4627 – Learn all aspects of makeup design & application for Fashion shows & photographic work – professional photoshoots are part of this module
- Period and Theatrical Make-Up 5N4632 – Explore the history of Makeup & specialised applications used for theatrical looks including pantomime, ageing and character transformations
- Postiche 5N4633 – Learn the art of hair-piece making to include making a bespoke beard/moustache for an individual
- Skincare Eye Treatments and Make-Up 5N3466 – Explore all areas of skincare & eye treatments to include: skin analysis, skincare, facial procedures, specialised products, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting & shaping and makeup for special ocassions
- Specialised Make-Up Effects 5N4634 – Understand specialised areas of Makeup Artistry required for the Film, Television, Theatre & Photographic industries. Make bespoke pieces to create special effects e.g. bald-caps, realistic aging, scarring, wounds, burns, bruising, effects & pieces to create different shapes to an actors appearance e.g. alien or animal effects
Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success.
- Professional Conduct and Business Awareness ITEC-learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business in the Makeup Artistry Industry, subjects include business, health & safety
CCOC Phorest Salon Software Certificate
CCOC Spray Tanning Certificate
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. Applicants will need to demonstrate an interest in Make-Up Artistry at interview and must bring with them a portfolio of make-up work completed by them as evidence of their interest. This should include at least 5 photographs of theatrical or fashion (e.g. debs or wedding) style work. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Professional guest lecturers
- Introduction to Phorest salon software
- One day a week work placement which students are required to source
- State of the Art practical rooms
- Practical training workshops and experience in Airbrushing
- First Aid workshop
- Retail Selling workshop
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CCOC ITEC Beauty Therapy
- Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT) Dun Laoghaire, BA Design for Screen and Stage (Make-Up Design)
- Southhampton Solent University – BA (Hons) Makeup & Hair Design
See Progressions for full progression details.
Free-Lance Makeup Artist, Theatrical Makeup Artist, Film/Television Makeup Artist, Product trainer, Sales Representative, Retail Industry. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
I’m so thrilled I decided to go to CCOC, it really has changed my life I’ve met life long friends. In November 2015 I opened up my own holistic room in the main street of Midleton called Serendipity Holistic Haven and I’m loving this new exciting adventure that hopefully will continue to go on for years to come. If you’re reading this unsure of what to do, go for it, make the right decision, you won’t be sorry and will truly enjoy the experience.
I completed The Nail technician course in The College of Commerce and I am now Manager of Nails Inc. in Brown Thomas on Patrick Street. I found the course extremely helpful and it gave me a great foundation in the Industry. I still have a very good relationship with the Collage and I guest speak to the students on an annual basis in regard to working in the Industry and any help or advice I can give them.
As part of my work experience I was the make up artist for two short films being made by another college. This was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about the production of films and what its like to be on set as a make up artist. Since the course I am working as a freelance artist doing weddings, photo shoots and theatre work. I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking of becoming a make up artist.