Do you aspire to have a career in the world of fashion, theatre and film? Can you be the person who has the skill and flair to transform people into a variety of looks using specialist products and techniques, and create characters through the use of special e ects and artistry into other worlds? In this course you have the opportunity to work with cutting edge products in a state of the art Makeup Studio and build your portfolio for your future career.
- Fashion & Media Make-Up 5N4627 – Learn all aspects of makeup design & application for Fashion shows & photographic work – professional photoshoots are part of this module
- Period and Theatrical Make-Up 5N4632 – Explore the history of Makeup & specialised applications used for theatrical looks including pantomime, ageing and character transformations
- Postiche 5N4633 – Learn the art of hair-piece making to include making a bespoke beard/moustache for an individual
- Skincare Eye Treatments and Make-Up 5N3466 – Explore all areas of skincare & eye treatments to include: skin analysis, skincare, facial procedures, specialised products, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting & shaping and makeup for special ocassions
- Specialised Make-Up Effects 5N4634 – Understand specialised areas of Makeup Artistry required for the Film, Television, Theatre & Photographic industries. Make bespoke pieces to create special effects e.g. bald-caps, realistic aging, scarring, wounds, burns, bruising, effects & pieces to create different shapes to an actors appearance e.g. alien or animal effects
Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success.
- Professional Conduct and Business Awareness ITEC-learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business in the Makeup Artistry Industry, subjects include business, health & safety
- CCOC Phorest Salon Software Certificate: Phorest Salon Software is an all-in platform that helps salon owners manage their appointments, clients, stock, and staff. It also has key features for marketing and social media to enable a salon to grow to its full potential. At the Cork College of Commerce, we offer our learners an introductory course in this software. This includes how to manage appointments and therapists, couple and group bookings. Additionally, beauty salon consultation forms, customer tracking, beauty salon marketing and selling and purchasing are also included.
- Data Protection: This workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines was GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data.
- CCOC Spray Tanning Certificate: Spray tanning is one of the most sought-after beauty treatments today. Our spray tanning workshop will leave the learner with the theory and practical skills needed to spray. The course focuses on the theory behind spraying, the course then moves onto the practical popular sunless spray tanning techniques. The content includes client consultation, contraindications that restrict/prevent tanning treatment, how to ensure client modesty and care. Additionally, hygiene, skin preparation and how to achieve the optimum tanning result and how to correctly operate the tanning machine and how to clean it is also covered. Furthermore, how much tan to use per client, aftercare for clients, health and safety is also included. Learners receive a Cork College of Commerce certificate of attendance after completing this workshop.
- Practical training workshops and experience in Airbrushing: This is a workshop for our make-up artistry students to give learners a working knowledge of Airbrushing Makeup Techniques. It includes an introduction to airbrush make up to include advantages of this method over conventional makeup application techniques – where applicable. It explains contraindications to airbrush make-up and relevant Health & Safety aspects. Additionally, it includes the practical use and working knowledge of airbrush equipment – to include the new TemptuAir machine, which differs from traditional airbrush machines and gives advice and training on how to complete a Flawless base look to include foundation, blusher and contouring techniques using airbrush make-up.
- First Aid workshop: This First Aid workshop will introduce the learner to the principles of First Aid. On successful completion of this course you will be a vital link in the chain of survival. The course includes identifying the role and responsibilities of the first Aider, understanding the principles of infection control. In addition, learners will describe and demonstrate how to assess a casualty- by conducting an initial check, physical examination, by obtaining a SAMPLE history, assessing levels of Response (AVPU) and identifying problems that are an immediate threat to life. Finally, learners will describe the requirements for a handover to other health care practitioners.
- Retail Selling: This workshop gives the learner the necessary knowledge to and skills to enhance their retail selling skills. The content includes understanding the selling process and understanding the value of consultative selling. Additionally, communicating your product/service effectively, building long-term sales relationships is discussed. Furthermore, knowing how to close the sale, productively manage your time, describing different types of customer styles and managing the customer relationship on an ongoing basis is also included.
- Specialist Eyebrow & Eyelash Treatments (optional): This introductory workshop gives learners the knowledge regarding eyebrow and eyelash treatments. The course includes understanding the importance of consultation and plan for treatment, contraindications that may prevent or restrict the treatment, knowing the equipment, materials and products In addition, learners will have the underpinning knowledge to perform an eyebrow shape, eyelash tint and eyebrow tint and know how to give aftercare advice for eye treatments.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. Applicants will need to demonstrate an interest in Make-Up Artistry at interview and must bring with them a portfolio of make-up work completed by them as evidence of their interest. This should include at least 5 photographs of theatrical or fashion (e.g. debs or wedding) style work. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- Institute of Art, Design and Technology (IADT) Dun Laoghaire DL830, BA Design for Stage and Screen (Make-Up Design)
- Southhampton Solent University – BA (Hons) Makeup & Hair Design
See Progressions for full progression details.
Free-Lance Makeup Artist, Theatrical Makeup Artist, Film/Television Makeup Artist, Product trainer, Sales Representative, Retail Industry. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €710 – this cost includes ITEC and QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). Approx. €1,200 for uniforms, kits and certain course materials which will be paid directly to suppliers on registration day. See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Make-Up Artistry Award 5M5265
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Make-Up
- ITEC Level 2 Award in Style and Fit Postiche
- ITEC Beauty Specialist Level 2
- CCOC Phorest Salon Software Certificate
- Work Experience: Students undertake work placement one day per week in a retail/theatre/fashion environment for the duration of the year, which they organise themselves.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.
I’m so thrilled I decided to go to CCOC, it really has changed my life I’ve met life long friends. In November 2015 I opened up my own holistic room in the main street of Midleton called Serendipity Holistic Haven and I’m loving this new exciting adventure that hopefully will continue to go on for years to come. If you’re reading this unsure of what to do, go for it, make the right decision, you won’t be sorry and will truly enjoy the experience.
I completed The Nail technician course in The College of Commerce and I am now Manager of Nails Inc. in Brown Thomas on Patrick Street. I found the course extremely helpful and it gave me a great foundation in the Industry. I still have a very good relationship with the Collage and I guest speak to the students on an annual basis in regard to working in the Industry and any help or advice I can give them.
As part of my work experience I was the make up artist for two short films being made by another college. This was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about the production of films and what its like to be on set as a make up artist. Since the course I am working as a freelance artist doing weddings, photo shoots and theatre work. I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking of becoming a make up artist.