Have you got a flair for beauty and a desire to work in a spa or salon? If so, this course will provide you with the basic skills and techniques needed to work as a therapist or in the retail sector of the beauty industry. You will receive the best training in Skincare, Facials, Manicures, Pedicures, Waxing and Facial electrical treatments in our state of the art facilites. You will be working with top class products and have access to masterclasses and workshops.
- Anatomy and Physiology 5N0749 – Develop an understanding of the interrelationship between the systems of the body. e.g. digestive, system, respiratory system, nervous system, skeletal system etc.
- Body Massage and Figure Analysis 5N3465
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success.
- Manicure, Pedicure and Waxing 5N3467/ITEC
- Beauty Therapy Industry Ethics and Practice 5N3470 –Provides students with an understanding of business practices such as Sales, Marketing, Insurance and Finance. Also covers Health and Safety issues as well as Ethics within the beauty industry. Develop an understanding of the importance of communication to maintain positive, professional working relationships.
- Skincare Eye Treatments and Make-Up 5N3466/ITEC – Explore all areas of skincare & eye treatments to include: skin analysis, skincare, facial procedures, specialised products, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting & shaping and makeup for special occassions.
- Facial Electrics 5N3468/ITEC
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practice employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Professional Conduct & Business Awareness ITEC –learn about elements required for the work place and when running a business, subjects include business, health & safety
- CCOC Phorest Salon Software Certificate: Phorest Salon Software is an all-in platform that helps salon owners manage their appointments, clients, stock, and staff. It also has key features for marketing and social media to enable a salon to grow to its full potential. At the Cork College of Commerce, we offer our learners an introductory course in this software. This includes how to manage appointments and therapists, couple and group bookings. Additionally, beauty salon consultation forms, customer tracking, beauty salon marketing and selling and purchasing are also included.
- OLOS Professional Training
- First Aid workshop: This First Aid workshop will introduce the learner to the principles of First Aid. On successful completion of this course you will be a vital link in the chain of survival. The course includes identifying the role and responsibilities of the first Aider, understanding the principles of infection control. In addition, learners will describe and demonstrate how to assess a casualty- by conducting an initial check, physical examination, by obtaining a SAMPLE history, assessing levels of Response (AVPU) and identifying problems that are an immediate threat to life. Finally, learners will describe the requirements for a handover to other health care practitioners.
- Fuschia makeup masterclass: This workshop includes a make-up demonstration by Fuschia National Trainer and professional MUA Ann Marie Thompson. Learn the tricks of the trade on how to create the perfect smoky eye, experiment with bold and bright colours, hide imperfections, learn how to contour etc. She will advise on each product in students kits, how to apply and each brush used.
- CCOC Spray Tanning: Spray tanning is one of the most sought-after beauty treatments today. Our spray tanning workshop will leave the learner with the theory and practical skills needed to spray. The course focuses on the theory behind spraying, the course then moves onto the practical popular sunless spray tanning techniques. The content includes client consultation, contraindications that restrict/prevent tanning treatment, how to ensure client modesty and care. Additionally, hygiene, skin preparation and how to achieve the optimum tanning result and how to correctly operate the tanning machine and how to clean it is also covered. Furthermore, how much tan to use per client, aftercare for clients, health and safety is also included. Learners receive a Cork College of Commerce certificate of attendance after completing this workshop.
- Eyelash Extensions and High Definition Brows
- Hot Stones Massage: During this Hot stone massage workshop learners will develop the skills and techniques to perform hot stone massages successfully, ensuring the client releases stored tension, boosts circulation, recharges energy levels and enjoys deep relaxation. The workshop includes a brief history of Hot Stone massage, outlines the contra indications to consider. In addition, it highlights the benefits of Hot Stone massage and explains the materials & equipment, required, how set up and includes a practical, hands on learning.
Leaving Cert, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CCOC: Advanced Beauty & Body Therapy and CIDESCO Beauty Therapy Diploma
- IT Tralee: Health & Leisure (TL771)
- IT Tralee: Health & Leisure with Massage (TL772)
- LIT: Business Studies in Beauty & Spa Management (LC392)
See Progressions for full progression information.
Hotel spas/salons, cruise liners, self employed professional, pharmacies, department store beauty counters.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €850 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). Course requirements (uniforms and kits) €550. See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Beauty Therapy (5M3471)
- ITEC Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Facial Electrical Treatments
- Work Experience: Students undertake work placement one day a week in a beauty related environment e.g. beauty salon or hotel spa, which they organise themselves.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.
I completed the 2 year beauty therapy course in the College of Commerce in 2019. It was an intense but thoroughly enjoyable 2 years. I learnt so much from all the amazing teachers here.
There are so many opportunities and different avenues to go down after finishing this course. I’m currently working in the Bellevue Spa in the Montenotte Hotel, Cork City. It’s quite physically demanding but very rewarding and a lovely environment to work in.
I also do some beauty from home as well in my spare time, like waxing, nails, etc. I would recommend anyone interested in the course to definitely go for it, enjoy it, work hard and take as much as you can from it.
My time in Cork College of Commence studying Beauty Therapy was fantastic with such a great bunch of girls all there to help each other. The teachers were so understanding and helped each us reach our best potential which showed in exam results at the end of the year when the effort was put into it.
It was a very interesting course and I loved every minute of it, studying a lot of different aspects and subjects was an eye opener, as I didn’t realize how in depth the course would be but it stands to me working in the beauty industry today, I am currently working in Jessie’s hair and beauty day spa in Clonakilty.
I have gotten a job with Steiner and will be leaving on the 11th of December! I wanted to say a very belated thank you for arranging the tour of the cruise ship in Cobh last May. It was the most amazing day ever, I’ll never forget it. It really motivated me to work towards getting a job with Steiner and here I am 6 months later ready to jet off!! I couldn’t be happier and it’s all thanks to the Beauty Therapy course and the incredible teachers.
I completed The Nail technician course in The College of Commerce and I am now Manager of Nails Inc. in Brown Thomas on Patrick Street. I found the course extremely helpful and it gave me a great foundation in the Industry. I still have a very good relationship with the Collage and I guest speak to the students on an annual basis in regard to working in the Industry and any help or advice I can give them.
We at Esthetica have had a very positive experience employing a graduate from the Beauty therapy course at the college. The student was well prepared for her 600 hours work experience and after this she was fully ready to work with our clients. The clients are loving her.
As part of my work experience I was the make up artist for two short films being made by another college. This was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about the production of films and what its like to be on set as a make up artist. Since the course I am working as a freelance artist doing weddings, photo shoots and theatre work. I would highly recommend this course to anyone thinking of becoming a make up artist.
I own and manage Shirley’s Beauty Clinic in Glanmire for over 20years now and we are delighted to Liaise with Cork College of Commerce as the students we employ from The Beauty Therapy and Holistic Therapy have always been of a very high calibre. I am delighted with not only the students but also the practical and theoretical knowledge they gained in the College.