Data Analytics is a new exciting way of working to analyse business data that the working world is placing significant value on, in today’s business environment. In this course students will become familiar with Database Methods (SQL), Statistics (with R Programming), Programming and Design principles (Python), Information and Communication systems, Behavioural Studies as well as ensuring competencies in Spreadsheet methods and Web Authoring, with practical experience a core part of the course. This course will provide you with the skills for analytical thinking and the required programming skills to allow you to assist the business world to make informed decisions.
- Database Methods 5N0783 Use SQL to create a database with related tables, query that data, and produce meaningful reports. Free access to Office 365.
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Statistics 5N2066 – Understand data, data collection and compile statistical information. Identify and implement appropriate means of presenting data. Analyse and interpret statistical information and learn how to use statistics for work and life
- Teamworking 5N1367 – Participate in core team-working activities to include negotiation, problem solving, finding solutions, decision making and conflict resolution. Demonstrate appropriate communications, problem solving and negotiation techniques in a range of team-working situations and roles to include leadership roles and give a receive feedback. Monitor personal strengths and skills as a team participant.
- Programming and Design Principles 5N2927 Learn the fundamentals of programming including conditional statements, iteration and methods using Python (IDE: PyCharm), and the importance of programs being to industry standard at the front end and the back end.
- Information and Communication Systems 5N1952 – Create a data capture form. Describe methods of securing data e.g access control, passwords, authentication etc. Explore data protection legislation. Use a range of common ICT terminology including server, dumb terminal, LANs etc.
- Behavioural Studies 5N1351: Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to enable the learner to understand and predict behaviour within a range of social, cultural and organisational contexts utilising the theories, principles and concepts underpinning behavioural studies.
- Web Authoring 5N1910 Build professional websites using HTML and CSS
- Work Experience 5N1356 Preparation for the work place, and a 2-week work placement in industry.
- R Programming
- Report Writing
- Microsoft Outlook
- Data Protection
- CRM Software
- STEM Aspire Mentorship Programme (for female students) run by Dell EMC.
Leaving Certificate with at least a pass grade in mathematics or relevant computer experience. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- CIT: Information Technology (CR888)
- UCC: Digital Humanities IT (CK118), Commerce (CK201)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Business & Administration (6M4985)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Tourism & Hospitality (Tourism with Business) (6M5012)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Marketing with Event Marketing (Business) (6M4985)
Special arrangements are in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for CCOC students. Up to 390 CAO points for CIT can be attained. Go to our progressions database at https://corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/progressions/ for exact entry requirements for this course.
Data Analytics Support, Business Consultant, Data Modeller, BI (Business Intelligence) Support.