If you would like to work in a Montessori environment with children under 6, this is the course for you. You can learn about the specifics of the Montessori method in a hands on practical environment supported by relevant theory that will give you a national and international qualification. This course is a requirement for anyone working with children and is the first step on the ladder to a whole career.
Email: email@example.com Tel: (021) 4222100 Ext 594
Or send us your contact details and your query.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Early Childhood Care & Education 5M2009
Manual handling training and certification (requirement for work experience)
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression)
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- Child Development 5N1764 – Learn to identify and respond appropriately to children’s developmental needs in the home and the early years setting. Recognise the contribution of adults and the role of observation as a learning tool for the childcare worker. Understand the importance of play in development.
- Approaches to Early Childhood Education 5N1763 – Gain knowledge of a number of theorists who currently influence educational programmes in early year’s services: Dr. Maria Montessori, Fredrich Froebel, Rudolf Steiner and David Weikart. They become knowledgeable of a variety of routine and activities according to that theorist’s programme.
- Early Care & Education Practice 5N1770 – Learn to participate effectively in teamwork in an early years service using effective communication skills with families, children and colleagues. Understand daily logs, routines and record keeping in running the service efficiently.Explore the rules and regulations that govern the industry.
- Early Childhood Education & Play 5N1773 – Understand how to select relevant play activities and materials appropriate to children’s interests and stage of development and cultural background. Use a range of reading and story telling techniques to suit different ages and cultural background. Asses the value of a toy, game or piece of play equipment. Explore the features of a supportive play environment.
- Child Health & Well-being 5N1765 – Identify requirements for the promotion of healthy and safe indoor and outdoor environments for children. Learn about common childhood illness and devise balanced menus for babies, toddlers and children. Perform suitable care routines for babies and young children including the care of the child when unwell.
- Children with Additional Needs 5N2396 – Learn to interact in a range of ways with children with special needs. Identify common conditions and impairments relating to children and plan developmentally appropriate activities mindful of the safety, welfare and wellbeing of all children. Learn to work responsibly as part of a team.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Irish for Pre-School Services 5N2005 – Use Irish to children in Early Years and Care Settings in an enjoyable, meaningful, natural and worthwhile way. An Ghaeilge a chur ar fáil de pháistí i ngrúpaí súgartha nó i seirbhísí eile ar bhealach taitneamhach, tuisceanach, nádurtha Fiúntach
Leaving Certificate. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed and garda vetted. Police clearance is required for non-Irish nationals. An offer of a place is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
(Applicants with 2 H5 grades on Higher Level Leaving Certificate papers and required results from QQI level 6 6M2007 are guaranteed a place in year 3 (CR622) Level 8 BA Montessori Education CIT)
- Childcare seminars and conferences
- Professional guest lecturers
- Child Protection training (TUSLA)
- Educational field trips
- Two mornings per week work placement which students are required to source
- Manual Handling Training and Certification (requirement for work experience)
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education 6M2007.
- CIT: Early Years Education (CR620)
- UCC: Early Years and Childhood Studies (CK111)
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See our Progressions for details.
Students are qualified as Assistant Early Childhood Practitioners in pre-schools and crèches, Special Needs Assistants and can work as a Child Minder in the home. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
Emma Coffey, and Thani Dorgan are working in, First steps childcare and Kindercare. Emma and Thani were offered these positions from their work experience placement.
Emma O Driscoll 062NC. “After finishing this course, I applied for positions to work as a nanny. I am currently working now as a fulltime nanny in the U.K. This was a great course, and it definitely prepared me for getting this job, as I knew so much about activities for children and had a great awareness of caring for young babies.
Alision Brady: “This was a fantastic course, really interesting. I got employment from my work placement, in Shrovagh Childcare, in Tower, so I am thrilled. All of the teachers really prepared me so well for working in the Early years sector, and I really love my job.”
Katelyn Collins: “I learned so much about every aspect of childcare. We gained so much experience in the class, and could do so many activities and games in the setting. I got a fulltime job in Childs Play Educare in Cloughdue, when I completed my course. I did my work experience placement there.”