- Entrepreneurial Skills 5N1951 – Learn the skills relevant to the theory and practice of entrepreneurship and adopt an entrepreneurial approach to business and or social innovation activities, operating independently while under general direction.
- Start Your Own Business 5N1418 – Learn how to compile a business plan to enable you to start your own business.
- Business Administration Skills 5N1610 – Examine a range of recruitment options for selecting and appointing staff and current employment rights legislation. Maintain a range of documents pertaining to HR management and employees including employment contracts, attendance records etc. Explore sources of finance for a business including cash-flow. Examine different types of meetings held and complete a range of documentation necessary for the effective function of a meeting. Explain the role of quality systems.
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Digital Marketing 5N1364 – Choose appropriate e-tools to implement a digital marketing strategy. Plan a digital marketing campaign from inception to completion. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns using analytical e-tools. Outline the stages of analysis, development, implementation and control of digital marketing campaigns. Use e-tools including web analytics, social media monitoring, social bookmarking to monitor digital marketing campaigns.
- Accounting Manual and Computerised 5N1348 – Get the knowledge, skill and competence to prepare financial statements for a range of organisations both manually and using integrated accounting software
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Data Protection: This workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines what GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data.
- Enabling Entrepreneurship (in association with Junior Achievement Ireland)
- Individual support available to build Word Processing and Spreadsheet skills
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants will undergo a processing stage during which further information will be gathered in relation to their application. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory completion of the processing stage.
- CCOC: Progress to 1 of the CCOC Advanced Business Specialisms, subject to entry requirements being met.
- MTU Cork: Business Studies (MT550)
- MTU Cork: Marketing (MT943)
- UCC: Commerce (CK201)
- MIC: Education, Business Studies & Accounting (M1009)
- MIC: Education, Business Studies & Religious Studies (M1010)
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with MTU Cork (CCPS), MTU Kerry and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. Go to our progressions database for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Graduates from this programme will be well placed to either seek employment in a business setting or to use their entrepreneurial skills to establish their own business.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €300 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €50). See payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Studies 5M2102
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as an option in the evening for learners requiring Maths for progression).
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a business/industry environment.