Wellbeing is a dynamic growth area that has become part of professional life in all organisations. If you would like to become the person in an area of company/business who is knowledgeable about the importance of all aspects of health and wellbeing then this is the course for you. We are all becoming aware of the critical importance of our physical and mental health and this course serves to increase awareness of the issues and ways of addressing them.
- Exercise & Fitness 5N2668: Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in a variety of forms of physical exercise, to enable the learner to design, implement and evaluate exercise and fitness programmes in a variety of contexts in line with best practice.
- Team Working 5N1367: Equip the learner with the relevant knowledge, skill and competence to work as an effective member of a team, operating independently while under general direction and within a range of diverse, team-oriented environments.
- Work Experience 5N1356: Equip the learner with the relevant knowledge, skill and competence to participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction.
- Psychology 5N0754: Explore a variety of theorists / practitioners / therapists e.g Freud and Rogers, look at the brain as well as memory and how it works. Learn specifics about addiction, schizophrenia, depression, eating disorders, stress, emotional behavioural disorders and learning disabilities, phobias, OCD etc. Understand sleep and dreams as well as disorders in this area, social psychology experiments and research in this area, behaviour in groups, helping behaviours, peer pressure, advertising etc. Investigate research methods, ethics and their importance as well as experimental psychology- here students get to partake in experiments and learn how to write up experimental reports. A number of therapeutic approaches are covered e.g. CBT, gestalt , person centred etc… when dealing with people who have mental health issues.
- Behavioural Studies 5N1351: Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to enable the learner to understand and predict behaviour within a range of social, cultural and organisational contexts utilising the theories, principles and concepts underpinning behavioural studies.
- Health Promotion 6N2214: Understand the importance of raising the awareness of health related issues with individuals and within the community. Understand how to effectively evaluate health promotion programmes and organise a health promotion event relevant to the local community.
- Intercultural Studies 5N0765 – encourages students to appreciate diversity and multiculturalism in 21st century Ireland. Looks at Irish and International examples of cultural diversity – and both the positive and negative outcomes that can arise from these.
- Safety and Health at work 5N1794 – Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment.
- Indian Head Massage
- Data Protection
- Stress Management
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirements. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this courses is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirement set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Psychosocial Awareness & Training (6M2263)
- UCC: Arts (CK101)
- UCC: Social Science (CK102)
- UCC: Youth & Community Work (CK114) (Must be over 21 and one year’s work experience in the area)
- UCC: Criminology (CK113)
- UCC: International Development & Food Policy (CK214)
- CIT: Social Care (CR031) – Maths or Stats required
- CIT: Recreation & Leisure Management (CR032)
- CIT: Community Development (CR035)
- CIT: Hospitality Management (CR042)
In a health related environment, in the wellness section of a large company or in community organisations.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €542 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Community Health Services 5M4468.
- QQI component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as an option in the evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression).
- ITEC Level 3 Award in Healthy Eating and Wellbeing
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a health related environment or in the wellbeing department of a company.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.