If you like the sound of working in an airport environment as a member of ground staff, cabin crew or reservation personnel then you will love this course. Learn all of the airline and cabin crew skills coupled with tourism studies and get practical experience of Amadeus (GDS) used by travel agents and airlines worldwide. Visit airports and other aviation sites and get a feel for the world of travel. Students participate in Airport and Aviation trips and tourism field trips.
- Cabin Crew Operations 5N5410 –Prepare for cabin crew recruitment and training as well as looking at uniform and grooming guidelines, industry terminology, inflight services, passenger handling and Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEPs)
- Airlines Studies 5N4971 – Examine the various airline business models (low costs and full service) focusing on the products and services they offer. Look at the airline industry and the various international organisations, agreements and laws which govern it.
- Global Distribution Systems 6N4973 -Make and amend airline reservations using the Amadeus system which is used by travel agencies and airlines throughout Ireland and the world
- Tourism Principles and Practice 5N2078 – National and International Tourism. Understand the tourist product of Ireland as a unique destination and how to promote and sell it. Identify of a range of international and national tourist attractions. Learn about tourist profiles and how they impact on tourist markets. Extensive field trips and site visits are an integral part of this component.
- Tourism Information and Administration 5N0636 – Work independently in a tourist information office or in the front office of a range of tourism enterprises. Emphasis on providing advice to visitors on coaches, walking tours, places of interest etc.
- Word Processing 5N1358 – Create and edit documents to a professional standard. Utilise Memos and Mailmerge for streamlining customer communication
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Plan, prepare and reflect on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success. Use appropriate communication technologies to include telephone, audio visual, conferencing, email and other interactive media in a range of customer service situations.
- Professional Presentation: This workshop gives the learner the necessary knowledge to sharpen and gain confidence with their presentation skills. The content of the workshop includes identifying skills needed to present with confidence, enabling learners to recognise the importance of non-verbal communication and how it can help or hinder an individual. Additionally, developing techniques to create a memorable and compelling ‘story’, practical tips on enhancing their delivery style and techniques to help with preparation and organisation of information is included. Learners prepare, practice, and present a short presentation.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Tourism (6M5012)
- CIT: Tourism Management Level 7 (CR041)
- CIT: Tourism Management Level 8 (CR660)
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Airports, airlines, handling agents, cabin crew, car hire companies, air freight services and tour operations.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €700 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Tourism with Business 5M5011
- Amadeus Certificate and a package holiday booking system qualification awarded by the International Academy of Travel
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression)
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a tourism or airport environment.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.
I studied Language and European studies at the Cork College of Commerce from 2014-2015, and it was the best choice I ever made. I am now studying in UCC and I definitely wouldn’t have got here without this amazing course. The best year of my life was spent at the Cork College of Commerce!
International Airline Studies was an ideal choice for me. As a person who is big into travelling, it suited me so well, and it made a brilliant foundation for the pathway I intend to take for my future career. It helped me to discover my flair for languages, especially Spanish. I have now gone onto further studies of Spanish as parts of an Arts degree in UCC. I hope to go on and become a translator in airport security or possibly teach Spanish.
From being taught how to cook, wait on people, set up tables and being brought out to visit hotels for experience. We learned so much from this course that helps us with everyday life. This year went too fast. I must say that I am glad to have been a part of this course and that it was the best experience to have been a part of in this college.