If you like the sound of working in an airport environment as a member of ground staff, cabin crew or reservation personnel then you will love this course. Learn all of the airline and cabin crew skills coupled with tourism studies and get practical experience of Amadeus (GDS) used by travel agents and airlines worldwide. Visit airports and other aviation sites and get a feel for the world of travel.
- Cabin Crew Operations 5N5410 –Prepare for cabin crew recruitment and training as well as looking at uniform and grooming guidelines, industry terminology, inflight services, passenger handling and Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEPs)
- Airlines Studies 5N4971 – Examine the various airline business models (low costs and full service) focusing on the products and services they offer. Look at the airline industry and the various international organisations, agreements and laws which govern it.
- Global Distribution Systems 6N4973 -Make and amend airline reservations using the Amadeus system which is used by travel agencies and airlines throughout Ireland and the world
- Tourism Principles and Practice 5N2078 – National and International Tourism. Understand the tourist product of Ireland as a unique destination and how to promote and sell it. Identify of a range of international and national tourist attractions. Learn about tourist profiles and how they impact on tourist markets. Extensive field trips and site visits are an integral part of this component.
- Tourism Information and Administration 5N0636 – Work independently in a tourist information office or in the front office of a range of tourism enterprises. Emphasis on providing advice to visitors on coaches, walking tours, places of interest etc.
- Word Processing 5N1358 – Create and edit documents to a professional standard. Utilise Memos and Mailmerge for streamlining customer communication
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Plan, prepare and reflect on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Two week work placement
- Training in Amadeus Reservation system
- Professional guest lecturers
- Airport and Aviation visits.
- Professional Presentation workshop
- Tourism Field Trips – trips during the 17/18 academic year include
- OPW heritage sites Swiss Cottage, Cahir Castle, Rock of Cashel
- Ormonde Castle, Carrick on Suir, Fethard Horse Country Experience, Fethard, Co. Tipperary.
- Nano Nagle Place
- Reginald’s Tower Waterford & Waterford Airport
- River Lee Hotel
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Tourism (6M5012)
- CIT: Tourism Management Level 7 (CR041)
- CIT: Tourism Management Level 8 (CR660)
Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Airports, airlines, handling agents, cabin crew, car hire companies, air freight services and tour operations. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Tourism with Business 5M5011
Amadeus Certificate and a package holiday booking system qualification awarded by the International Academy of Travel
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression)
€700 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
I studied Language and European studies at the Cork College of Commerce from 2014-2015, and it was the best choice I ever made. I am now studying in UCC and I definitely wouldn’t have got here without this amazing course. The best year of my life was spent at the Cork College of Commerce!
International Airline Studies was an ideal choice for me. As a person who is big into travelling, it suited me so well, and it made a brilliant foundation for the pathway I intend to take for my future career. It helped me to discover my flair for languages, especially Spanish. I have now gone onto further studies of Spanish as parts of an Arts degree in UCC. I hope to go on and become a translator in airport security or possibly teach Spanish.
From being taught how to cook, wait on people, set up tables and being brought out to visit hotels for experience. We learned so much from this course that helps us with everyday life. This year went too fast. I must say that I am glad to have been a part of this course and that it was the best experience to have been a part of in this college.