This course doubles up as a pre-university option for those wishing to get a degree or for those who want to go straight to work in a legal office. Learn all of the important legal terms, get a grounding in many aspects of the law and get a feel for your future in the legal profession.
- Audio Transcription 5N1549 – Transform verbal and audio materials into text in the form of written or typed work incorporating the use of an audio transcription software package. Conquer punctuation, grammar, spelling, sentence construction and proof reading.
- Family Law 5N3786 – Develop an understanding of a particularly sensitive area of legal practice which requires both legal practitioners and administrators to display knowledge, empathy and attention to detail
- Business Law 5N2091 – Explain the nature of contract and the essential features and terms of a valid contract. Explain what constitutes breach of contract and the available remedies. Reflect on the role and impact of EU legislation on Irish business activity and work practices and on the Irish consumer. Examine the main provisions of employment legislation and explore the area of consumer protection and consumer rights.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977– Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Legal Practice and Procedures 5N1394 – Understand the role of the constitution in the Irish legal system, legal terminology and the structure of the Irish court system. Describe proceedings in a court of law. Explore the impact of European law on the Irish system. Evaluate documents and legislation in your relevant area. Identify main categories of remedies e.g compensation etc.
- Text Production 5N1422 -Learn to produce a range of documents to a mailable standard, within a minimum speed of 35 words per minute
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Two week work placement
- Professional guest lecturers
- Telephone Etiquette workshop
- Training in Case Management System, Legal Evolve
- Participation in Law Workshop in UCC
- Court visits
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- UCC: Law (CK301)
- UCC: Law and Business (CK307)
- CIT: Business Studies (CR021)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Marketing and Event Management (Business) 6M4985
Excellent progression opportunities other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
As a graduate of this course you can pursue careers in a range of area including legal secretary, legal researcher, paralegal work and general administration. All students have access to our Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
The course runs for 1 academic year. Legal Administration is a full time programme which runs from early September to mid May. Timetables vary from year to year.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Legal Studies 5M3789
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in the evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression)
CCOC Certificate in Legal Evolve
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
Last year I did QQI Level 5 Certificate in Office Administration, Medical and Dental Receptionist. I found the College of Commerce most welcoming and the teachers so helpful and encouraging. I gained confidence in myself as a person and found the whole experience helped me in my future career.
I found myself going back to education after 10 years, it was daunting but helped me grow and showed me how enjoyable college life can be. I got a full-time job in the dental practice where I did my work experience and am now continuing my education in UCC.
I was a student of Level 5 Reception and Customer Care. It was a wonderful course where I gained much confidence.The Cork College of Commerce opened up new paths and the experience was invaluable. Overall I would say that the Cork College of Commerce was a wonderful College.