All businesses depend on Logistics & Distribution to service both their own internal needs and those of their clients. Logistics & Distribution includes the sourcing, storage and transportation of both components and finished products. It is the study of the business functions that form the link between raw materials & products and their smooth flow to the market. This programme is a gateway to jobs for problem solvers and analytical thinkers in Logistic and Distribution companies that make this happen. Participants on this programme have access to a Work Placement Programme, which includes Safe Pass training to ensure graduates are well placed to secure key positions in this growing industry.
- Freight Forwarding 5N2728 – Illustrate the impact of Information Technology on freight forwarding. Summarise the purpose and use of standard transit information systems and documents. Investigate a range of industry representative groups and/or associations involved in influencing policy in Ireland on transport and trade. Describe the development of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trades (GATT).
- Inventory Control 5N2726 – Illustrate the use of Management Information Systems (MIS) applications in inventory operations and management. Detail the steps required to implement a particular inventory control policy. Summarise steps required to implement a record keeping system.
- Purchasing 5N2727 – Examine criteria for evaluating quotations including illustrating how best to make comparisons. Learn the skills required to manage negotiations in purchasing. Investigate the basic legal considerations of a purchasing contract. Design a complaint and a claims procedure.
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Warehousing 5N2725 – Illustrate storage utilisation in a warehouse. Investigate the various types of stock control systems and reconciliation. Identify an appropriate system to manage, receipt, store and distribute material with regards to Just In Time (JIT) etc.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Supply Chain Operations 5N2409 – Explore the role of supply chain management in organisations, understand global trading environments, along with an awareness of current trends in supply chains. Focus on logistics paths from Asia, USA and Europe
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview
- One day per week work placement in partnership with a number of nominated Logistics/Distribution companies for the duration of the year. Students are assigned to one of the partnership companies for their placement.
- Professional guest lecturers
- Site Visits
- CCOC Manual Handling Training and Certification (requirement for work experience)
- Safe Pass Training
- Safety and Health workshop
- Attendance at Logistics and Distribution conference
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CIT: Business (CR021)
- UCC: Commerce (CK201)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Tourism (Tourism with Business) 6M5012
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Marketing and Event Management (Business) 6M4985
Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Opportunities may arise to work in purchasing administration and buying, supply chain analysis, warehouse administration and management, export/import indutries, customer service and transport administration. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
The course runs for 1 academic year. Logistics & Distribution is a full time programme which runs from early September to mid May. Timetables vary from year to year.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Logistics and Distribution 5M2767
NETSTOCK Inventory Management Software Certificate
Manual Handling Training and Certification
Optional Forklift training (extra cost)
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
I’m 100% happy I did the Logistics & Distribution course at CCOC, it has given me the confidence to be where I am today.
CCOC provided me with the encouraging, supportive & motivating environment I needed to excel in my studies & progress to UWSTD where I completed my Marketing degree with just one further year study there. The high marks I received in my degree was testament to the three years I spent in CCOC being constantly challenged & supported by brilliant teachers, as is my job as a Marketing Executive. The personal approach was one of my best aspects, everyone’s needs were catered for individually and there was no “one size fits all” attitude.
I loved my marketing and event management course in CCOC. It is a great college where you get a lot of support and help from your tutors. It gave me the confidence to pursue higher education, which I am currently studying a degree in Marketing and Multimedia at the University of Roehampton.
I am a 26 year old qualified accountant working in Quintas Partners in Cork City, I have this week took a senior accountant role within this firm which will give me the platform to progress in my career and achieve my goals I set in 2007 when I started my journey in Cork College of Commerce.