- Information and Administration 5N1389 – Carry out diary management to include meeting notices and monutes and preparation of business trip itineraries. Create a manual or computerised database filing system. Use office equipment and resources.
- Text Production 5N1422 -Learn to produce a range of documents to a mailable standard, within a minimum speed of 35 words per minute
- Medical Terminology 5N2428 – Define medical terminology and abbreviations. Use correct medical terminology in a wide range of specialities. Assemble and prepare x-ray reports. Prepare final medical reports ensuring the use of appropriate terminology, language and format.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Spreadsheets 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Database Methods 5N0783 – Use MS Access to create databases from design specifications under a time constraint. Learn to manipulate information from databases and retrieve and output in report format
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Word Processing 5N1358– Learn to produce professional mailable document. Learn file management and a host of functions including clipart, headers, footers, watermarks, graphics, tabs etc.
- CCOC Socrates Medical Package: Socrates software is a medical records system for a General Practice. It is used by Irish GPs. Our Socrates course which is certified by the Cork College of Commerce includes the management of patient files and the addition of new patients, managing the appointment system for the practice. It includes organising the waiting room and consultations of patients once they arrive at the practice, printing repeat prescriptions and referral letter as well as billing and fee management functions. This course gives the student a valued experience in what it would be like to work as a receptionist in General Practice.
- CCOC Infection Prevention and Control: The Infection Prevention and Control programme aims to give learners an in-depth look at this vital aspect of the healthcare industry/workplace. Topics covered include basic microbiology, healthcare associated infections and the role of infection prevention in the workplace. Additionally, the role and standards of the HSE & HIQA and hands on training in correct hand washing technique and the use of PPE is also covered.
- Microsoft Outlook: The Microsoft Outlook workshop demonstrates how to use the internet to compose, send, receive and store electronic mail to include attaching a file to an email and managing email folders. It also facilitates the learner to explore areas related to browser-based email systems including demonstrating the use of at least one current email software package for example: compose, send, receive, reply, forward, print, store electronic messages and open file attachments, attach a file to an email message and create and manage mailboxes and transfer messages to and from relevant mailboxes. Furthermore, learners develop an appreciation of email etiquette as regards: content, length, style and tone of composed messages and they set up a web-based email account.
- Data Protection: This Data Protection Workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines was GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progressions opportunities including:
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT/MTU (CCPS), Tralee IT/MTU and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Medical and Dental Administration and Reception, general practices, hospital and care facilities. Former students have been employed in Primary Care Centres and other large and small health related environments.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Office Administration 5M1997
- QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression).
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in an office environment.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.