If you are an organised person and would love to work in administration in a busy doctors, dentists, hospital or other healthcare environment then this course is perfect for you. The admin team member in these environments is the person who sensitively deals with vulnerable clients to ensure that they are professionally dealt with. If you can see yourself in that role then this is the right course for you.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
The course runs for 1 academic year. Medical Dental Administration is a full time programme which runs from early September to mid May. Timetables vary from year to year.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Office Administration 5M1997
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
CCOC Socrates Certificate
CCOC Infection, Prevention and Control Certificate
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- Information and Administration 5N1389 – Carry out diary management to include meeting notices and monutes and preparation of business trip itineraries. Create a manual or computerised database filing system. Use office equipment and resources.
- Text Production 5N1422 -Learn to produce a range of documents to a mailable standard, within a minimum speed of 35 words per minute
- Medical Terminology 5N2428 – Define medical terminology and abbreviations. Use correct medical terminology in a wide range of specialities. Assemble and prepare x-ray reports. Prepare final medical reports ensuring the use of appropriate terminology, language and format.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Spreadsheets 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Database Methods 5N0783 – Use MS Access to create databases from design specifications under a time constraint. Learn to manipulate information from databases and retrieve and output in report format
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning
- Word Processing 5N1358– Learn to produce professional mailable document. Learn file management and a host of functions including clipart, headers, footers, watermarks, graphics, tabs etc.
- Socrates Medical Package – Use this practice management software package to learn to seamlessly manage a medical/dentist practice. Record appointments and track documentation
- Infection Prevention and Control CCOC -Learn how to prevent the spread of infection in the healthcare setting including hand hygiene and standard precautions. Practical instruction in all aspects of practice.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Two week work placement
- Socrates Medical Package
- Professional guest lecturers
- First Aid workshop
- Microsoft Outlook workshop
- Data Protection workshop
Excellent progressions opportunities including:
- CIT: Business Studies (CR021)
- CIT: Business Administration (CR022)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Business 6M4985
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Tourism (Tourism with Business) 6M5012
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Marketing with Event Management (Business) 6M4985
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Career Opportunities: Medical and Dental Administration and Reception, general practices, hospital and care facilities. Former students have been employed in Primary Care Centres and other large and small health related environments. All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
I have great memories from my time in College of Commerce. I made lifelong friends there. Everything was well covered before exams which were frequent but I found that easier for learning. The coursework was enjoyable and varied. I learned many people skills and how to deal with the public and work colleagues. The staff were a great support and always happy to help. All the skills I gained in College of Commerce contribute in helping me to complete my daily work tasks in my permanent contracted job in Cork University Hospital.
I had a great experience in the College, I really enjoyed it – it was my second time to attend. The course work is relevant, helpful and stands to me in my job. I gained extra confidence in my use of computers. We were issued with achievable deadlines to complete our work. They also ensured you to stay on track. The course is very hands on, there is a two week block of work experience so you gain practical knowledge too. There is much information available on job opportunities from Course Director and email – it is how I got my job. The staff are very approachable and helpful. I met and made great friends throughout my time in the College.
This is a really good College. The teachers were very helpful and I met great friends. Exams were frequent which I found great to keep us interested and focused. The coursework was varied so we got a taste for everything. My confidence really increased and it made me more outgoing. There were many job opportunities and I am now in full time employment. Staff were very friendly and helpful. With the skills I had learned when I finished in College I was well able to go and get a job.