Retail is all about giving the customer what they want and delivering it effectively. If you think you have what it takes to help a business succeed in retail then this is your starting point. Learn all about the marketable skills of display, selling and online marketing in order to ensure customer satisfaction and successful sales in partnership with some of Cork’s major retailers.
Or send us your contact details and your query, and we will be in touch.
The course runs for 1 academic year. Retail is a full time programme which runs from early September to mid May. Timetables vary from year to year.
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 and Statistics 5N2066 (available as option in the evening for learners requiring Maths or Statistics for progression)
CCOC Manual Handling Training and Certification
NETSTOCK Inventory Management Software Certificate
€500 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- Customer Service 5N0972 – Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers. Handle a range of challenging situations, demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care. Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success.
- Digital Marketing 5N1364 – Choose appropriate e-tools to implement a digital marketing strategy. Plan a digital marketing campaign from inception to completion. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns using analytical e-tools. Outline the stages of analysis, development, implementation and control of digital marketing campaigns. Use e-tools including web analytics, social media monitoring, social bookmarking to monitor digital marketing campaigns.
- Retail Administration 5N1860 – Analyse key features of retail outlets including department stores, common multiples etc. Learn about current retail legislation e.g. Sale of Goods and Supplies Services Act and Consumer Protection Act. Evaluate the range of banking services available to the retail organisation. Examine the impact of a range of strategies on an organisation’s profitability including training, quality, sources of finance, credit control and stock control. Process business documents including credit notes, invoices, purchase orders etc.
- Retail Display 5N1861 – Learn about visual merchandising display. Design a retail display to include appropriate materials and construction. Employ graphics to communicate pricing and offers to customers of a retail outlet. Suggest suitable display types for a range of retail contexts including self service, personal service etc.
- Retail Selling 5N1619 – Learn the technologies currently used in the retail sector including cash registers, bar code scanners, stock security devices etc. Learn about customer loyalty, merchandising, retail ethics and training and communication skills.Learn how to open and close a sale, deal with complaints or present alternative products.
- Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 – Produce a spreadsheet that meets a simple design specification and is fit for purpose. Learn a range of spreadsheet features such as data and cell formatting techniques, conditional IF statements, financial, date and time functions. Generate a variety of types of graphs from spreadsheet data. Automate routine multi-step tasks through the creation, execution and management of simple macros.
- Teamworking 5N1367 – Participate in core team-working activities to include negotiation, problem solving, finding solutions, decision making and conflict resolution. Demonstrate appropriate communications, problem solving and negotiation techniques in a range of team-working situations and roles to include leadership roles and give a receive feedback. Monitor personal strengths and skills as a team participant.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
CCOC Manual Handling Training and Certification
NETSTOCK Inventory Management software Certification
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- One day per week work placement in partnership with a number of nominated retail outlets for the duration of the year. Students are assigned to one of the patnership companies for the placement
- Professional guest lecturers and site visits
- Workshop on Digital Media
- Manual Handling Training and Certification
- The Executive Institute event participation
- Entrepreneurial skills workshop
- Professional Presentation workshop
Excellent progressions opportunities including:
- WIT: Retail Management (WD184)
- Galway Mayo IT: Retail Management (GA375)
- DIT: Retail Managment & Marketing (DT360)
- CIT: Business Studies (CR021)
- CIT: Business Administration (CR022)
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Business 6M4985
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Tourism (Tourism with Business) 6M5012
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Marketing with Event Management (Business) 6M4985
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Retail assistant, retail advisor, merchandiser . All students can access the Jobs Advice Hub. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.
I loved my marketing and event management course in CCOC. It is a great college where you get a lot of support and help from your tutors. It gave me the confidence to pursue higher education, which I am currently studying a degree in Marketing and Multimedia at the University of Roehampton.
I am a 26 year old qualified accountant working in Quintas Partners in Cork City, I have this week took a senior accountant role within this firm which will give me the platform to progress in my career and achieve my goals I set in 2007 when I started my journey in Cork College of Commerce.
CCOC provided me with the encouraging, supportive & motivating environment I needed to excel in my studies & progress to UWSTD where I completed my Marketing degree with just one further year study there. The high marks I received in my degree was testament to the three years I spent in CCOC being constantly challenged & supported by brilliant teachers, as is my job as a Marketing Executive. The personal approach was one of my best aspects, everyone’s needs were catered for individually and there was no “one size fits all” attitude.