- Fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming 5N0541 Programming using Java (IDE: Eclipse) to design, build, test (using TestNG) and deploy Object Oriented applications.
- Software Architecture 5N2772 Techniques to build industry standard software using traditional SDLCs and Agile methodologies (including Scrum, Kanban and Extreme Programming). Create UML diagrams (including use-case and class diagrams), and auto-generate Java code within Eclipse.
- Programming and Design Principles 5N2927 Learn the fundamentals of programming including conditional statements, iteration and methods using Python (IDE: PyCharm), and the importance of programs being to industry standard at the front end and the back end.
- Web Authoring 5N1910 Build professional websites using HTML and CSS.
- Networking Essentials 5N2929 Connect digital devices using private, non-routable IPv4 addressing, and test connectivity using diagnostic tools. Build and deploy a LAN, and implement and manage network resources.
- Maths for Information Technology 5N18396 Acquire mathematical skill in problem solving and mathematical investigations in the following areas: basic arithmetic and algebra, set theory and Boolean logic, functions and calculus , geometry and trigonometry, probability and statistics, and algorithms and computations.
- Communications 5N0690 Development of interpersonal and other professional skills.
- Work Experience 5N1356 Preparation for the work place, and a 2-week work placement in industry.
- Data Analytics Workshop: This workshop gives learners an overview of data analytics and actionable recommendations, including planning for a bigger focus on Data Analysis as they continue their studies. The workshop examines the essential techniques and methodologies used to gather and assess data and help learners to identify future career paths in Data Analytics. By the end of the workshop each learner will know what Big Data is and identify examples of Big Data in IT. They will understand the essential techniques and methodologies used to gather and assess data.
- Data Protection Seminar: This Data Protection Workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines was GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data.
- STEM Aspire Mentorship Program (for female students), run by Dell EMC: DELL EMC and VMware invite our female students to participate in workshops that will help them progress along their chosen IT path. Each participant is assigned a mentor who provides continued support, engagement and encouragement to facilitate a student in achieving their IT career goal.
Leaving Certificate with at least a pass grade in mathematics or relevant computer experience. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement.
All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
We have excellent progressions in education including:
- CCOC: QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Software Development 6M0691
- CIT/MTU: IT Management (CR310)
- CIT/MTU: Software Development (CR106 and CR116)
- Inholland (Haarlem, The Netherlands): In negotiation
- UCC: BIS (CK203)
- UCC: Computer Science (CK401)
- UCC: Psychology and Computing (CK121)
Excellent progression opportunities to other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT/MTU (CCPS), Tralee IT/MTU and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
On successful completion of a full award, the student can apply for an entry level position as a programmer, an app developer, a website developer or a networks technician. The student is also very employable as a customer service operator, especially in the area of troubleshooting general computer problems.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €550 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Certificate in Software Development 5M0529.
- Work Experience: Students will undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in the IT area.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.