- Graphical User Interface Programming (Java) 6N0736 Learn how to use controls to build industry-standard GUI apps and how to connect to a database at the back-end of a Java app, and extract data from the database into the app.
- Software Architecture 6N1449 Understand the techniques and roles involved in traditional and Agile SDLCs to build information systems and analyse projects. Create structural and behavioural type diagrams through Unified Modelling Language (UML), and gain knowledge on how visual modelling has greatly aided software design. Learners will also create object‐oriented code, based on UML Class and Object diagrams (using the Eclipse Marketplace) and sketch diagrams using draw.io.
- Project Management 6N4090 Master the essential skills and tools of Project Management by learning how to integrate its 5 process groups following the PMBOK guidelines. Learn how to use Ms Project to schedule your project & also create WBS diagrams. Complete assignments as part of this course to demonstrate your skills.
- Object Oriented Programming (C++) 6N2108 Build Object Oriented programs (IDE: Code::Blocks) using objects, classes, constructors, operator overloading and inheritance.
- Relational Database 6N4785 This module uses a database management system (DBMS) to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to design, analyse and implement a relational database and to understand database concepts and terminology. Learn how to use MS SQL Server.
- Leadership 6N2191 Gain practical experience in implementing leadership skills including problem solving, strategic analysis and planning, effective communication skills and conducting meetings appropriately. Learn how to manage projects and tasks resulting in effective team performance and incorporating handling group dynamics, group roles, conflict resolution, diversity, teamwork and motivation
- Work Experience 6N1946 Plan an prepare effectively for work placement. Learn how to present a professional CV and personal statement. Hone your interview skills, and examine your employability skills. Work placement is one day a week (120 hours).
- Web Development 6N1277 Attain the knowledge, skill and competence to develop and deploy dynamic, data driven websites, using modern technologies including CSS and WordPress.
- Data Analytics Workshop: This workshop gives learners an overview of data analytics and actionable recommendations, including planning for a bigger focus on Data Analysis as they continue their studies. The workshop examines the essential techniques and methodologies used to gather and assess data and help learners to identify future career paths in Data Analytics. By the end of the workshop each learner will know what Big Data is and identify examples of Big Data in IT. They will understand the essential techniques and methodologies used to gather and assess data.
- STEM Aspire Mentorship Programme (for female students), run by Dell EMC: DELL EMC and VMware invite our female students to participate in workshops that will help them progress along their chosen IT path. Each participant is assigned a mentor who provides continued support, engagement and encouragement to facilitate a student in achieving their IT career goal.
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Software Development 5M0529 / QQI Certificate in Computer Systems and Networks 5M0536 (or equivalent).
An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Excellent progression opportunities including:
- CIT/MTU (Year 2): Computing CR016 (Level 7), Software Development CR106 (Level 8), Software Development and Computer Networking CR116 (Level 8), IT Support CR888 (Level 7), IT Management CR310 (Level 8).
- UCC: Computer Science CK401 (Level 8).
- Inholland (Haarlem, The Netherlands): In negotiation
Special arrangements in place with CIT/MTU (CCPS), Tralee IT/MTU and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course. See Progressions for details.
Career Opportunities: On successful completion of this award, the student can apply for a position as a junior programmer, a junior website developer, a junior computer technician (in the hardware and networking areas) or a project manager. The student is also in a strong position to apply for an apprenticeship with some of the big companies in the Computer Science area.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €580 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €280). See Payment for details.
- Certification: QQI Level 6 Certificate in Software Development 6M0691
- Work Experience: Students will undertake work experience one day per week in a computer company for the duration of the course, which they organise themselves.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.