All workplaces are becoming increasingly conscious of the physical and mental health of their employees and are investing in initiatives to prolong health and mental/physical fitness. Become a yoga teacher and at the same time learn other skills and knowledge that make you eminently employable or well placed for self employment. This course will help you to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the science of yoga. Learn to teach asana and pranayama in your own individual way with awareness, compassion, sensitivity and clarity.
- Nutrition 5N2006: Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the nutritional composition of food and the affects of food and nutrition on an individuals health and personal well being.
- Health Promotion 6N2214: Understand the importance of raising the awareness of health related issues with individuals and within the community. Understand how to effectively evaluate health promotion programmes and organise a health promotion event relevant to the local community.
- Psychology 5N0754: Explore a variety of theorists / practitioners / therapists e.g Freud and Rogers, look at the brain as well as memory and how it works. Learn specifics about addiction, schizophrenia, depression, eating disorders, stress, emotional behavioural disorders and learning disabilities, phobias, OCD etc. Understand sleep and dreams as well as disorders in this area, social psychology experiments and research in this area, behaviour in groups, helping behaviours, peer pressure, advertising etc. Investigate research methods, ethics and their importance as well as experimental psychology- here students get to partake in experiments and learn how to write up experimental reports. A number of therapeutic approaches are covered e.g. CBT, gestalt , person centred etc… when dealing with people who have mental health issues.
- Anatomy and Physiology 5N0749 – Develop an understanding of the interrelationship between the systems of the body. e.g. digestive, system, respiratory system, nervous system, skeletal system etc.
- Reflexology 5N5371 – the purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide reflexology treatments for the purposes of relaxation and the relief of stress in order to encourage general health and wellbeing, under appropriate supervision.
- Programming a yoga teaching session (ITEC)
- Delivering a yoga teaching session (ITEC)
- Human Growth and Development 5N1279 – Learn psychology throughout the lifespan, how we grow, learn develop and change throughout our lives. Understand factors that affect development throughout the lifespan. Develop interpersonal/interactive skills appropriate to responding to the needs of others.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Chair Yoga: This workshop will introduce learners to chair yoga which is a gentle form of yoga that can be practiced sitting or using a chair for support while standing. It is beneficial for those with limited mobility or wish to practice while sitting at their desk.
- Yoga for Sport: This workshop will offer an opportunity for learners to explore the role yoga plays in sports on both a psychological and physical level. This is a hands-on workshop where learners will be expected adjust postures appropriately.
- Children’s Yoga: This workshop will assist learners in adapting traditional yoga poses to appeal to children in a fun way while working on their flexibility, strength & co-ordination. During this workshop it will exploring age appropriate games, stories and creative names for poses.
- Pregnancy Yoga: This workshop will look at appropriate prenatal yoga sequences of joint mobility exercises, seated postures, standing postures, hip openers and relaxation exercises.
- Ayurveda: Ayurveda translates as the Science of Life. It is the oldest & most complete health care system in the world. It does not conflict with any health care system, modality or philosophy but enhances your understanding of health. This workshop will explore the fundamentals of Ayurveda and teach the learner how to apply this ancient science to your clinical practice. The learner will be introduced to the basic principles of Ayurveda, including origins and philosophy.
- Data Protection: This workshop gives learners an overview of GDPR. The workshop examines was GDPR stands for and gives an understanding of the current data protection rules and obligations. The learners also receive information on the types of data, the terminology associated with GDPR, the penalties with breaches, storage of data and general do’s and don’ts regarding data.
- First Aid: This First Aid workshop will introduce the learner to the principles of First Aid. On successful completion of this course you will be a vital link in the chain of survival. The course includes identifying the role and responsibilities of the first Aider, understanding the principles of infection control. In addition, learners will describe and demonstrate how to assess a casualty- by conducting an initial check, physical examination, by obtaining a SAMPLE history, assessing levels of Response (AVPU) and identifying problems that are an immediate threat to life. Finally, learners will describe the requirements for a handover to other health care practitioners.
- Manual Handling: Manual handling training is required under Regulation 13 of the 1993 (General Application Regulations) and 1993 Manual Handling Regulations. This training programme is aimed at providing all persons at work with proper techniques when lifting, carrying, loading, pushing and supporting. It provides employees with good work practices such as proper lift Manual Handling Techniques. The course includes being aware of the necessity for safe methods of manual handling to reduce the risk of injury and understanding the need to avoid manual handling by using mechanical aids where possible. Furthermore, assessing the task using the TILE criteria (task, individual, load, environment) and implementing the correct method of lifting ensuring minimal risk to self and co-workers will also be included. Finally, knowing how to safely execute all relevant workplace manual handling tasks will be demonstrated. A certificate will be issued to learners who successfully complete the course.
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Arts (CK101)
- Social Science (CK102)
- Youth & Community Work (CK114) (Must be over 21 and one year’s work experience in the area)
- Criminology (CK113)
- Social Care (CR031)
- Recreation & Leisure Management (CR032)
- Community Development (CR035), Hospitality Management (CR042)
- Psychology (WD163)
Go to our progressions database at https://corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/progressions/ for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Establishing a Yoga Teaching business, working in a Reflexology practice, working in a spa centre or in an alternative clinic.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €613 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Community Health Services (5M4468)
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Yoga Teaching
- This qualification is recognised for membership by Complementary Therapists Association (CHhA) and Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS)
- QQI Component Maths (5N1833) (available as an option in the evening for learners requiring Maths for progression).
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block placement of 2 weeks in a health related environment or in the wellbeing department of a company. Students undertake to prepare, plan and facilitate a professional, dynamic and inclusive yoga programme.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.