All workplaces are becoming increasingly conscious of the physical and mental health of their employees and are investing in initiatives to prolong health and mental/physical fitness. Become a yoga teacher and at the same time learn other skills and knowledge that make you eminently employable or well placed for self employment. This course will help you to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the science of yoga. Learn to teach asana and pranayama in your own individual way with awareness, compassion, sensitivity and clarity.
- Nutrition 5N2006: Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the nutritional composition of food and the affects of food and nutrition on an individuals health and personal well being.
- Health Promotion 6N2214: Understand the importance of raising the awareness of health related issues with individuals and within the community. Understand how to effectively evaluate health promotion programmes and organise a health promotion event relevant to the local community.
- Psychology 5N0754: Explore a variety of theorists / practitioners / therapists e.g Freud and Rogers, look at the brain as well as memory and how it works. Learn specifics about addiction, schizophrenia, depression, eating disorders, stress, emotional behavioural disorders and learning disabilities, phobias, OCD etc. Understand sleep and dreams as well as disorders in this area, social psychology experiments and research in this area, behaviour in groups, helping behaviours, peer pressure, advertising etc. Investigate research methods, ethics and their importance as well as experimental psychology- here students get to partake in experiments and learn how to write up experimental reports. A number of therapeutic approaches are covered e.g. CBT, gestalt , person centred etc… when dealing with people who have mental health issues.
- Anatomy and Physiology 5N0749 – Develop an understanding of the interrelationship between the systems of the body. e.g. digestive, system, respiratory system, nervous system, skeletal system etc.
- Reflexology 5N5371 – the purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide reflexology treatments for the purposes of relaxation and the relief of stress in order to encourage general health and wellbeing, under appropriate supervision.
- Programming a yoga teaching session (ITEC)
- Delivering a yoga teaching session (ITEC)
- Human Growth and Development 5N1279 – Learn psychology throughout the lifespan, how we grow, learn develop and change throughout our lives. Understand factors that affect development throughout the lifespan. Develop interpersonal/interactive skills appropriate to responding to the needs of others.
- Communications 5N0690 – Acquire the writing skills needed for the workplace, learn to speak fluently and coherently in a professional setting, develop interpersonal skills and have an understanding of the impact of ICT on society.
- Work Experience 5N1356 – Planning, preparation and reflection on work placement. Job finding strategies, CV and personal statement preparation, interview skills. Practise employability skills with a view to future planning.
- Chair Yoga
- Yoga for Sport
- Children’s Yoga
- Pregnancy Yoga
- Data Protection
- First Aid
- Manual Handling
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Arts (CK101)
- Social Science (CK102)
- Youth & Community Work (CK114) (Must be over 21 and one year’s work experience in the area)
- Criminology (CK113)
- Social Care (CR031)
- Recreation & Leisure Management (CR032)
- Community Development (CR035), Hospitality Management (CR042)
- Psychology (WD163)
Go to our progressions database at https://corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/progressions/ for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
Establishing a Yoga Teaching business, working in a Reflexology practice, working in a spa centre or in an alternative clinic.
- Duration: September to May
- Fees: €613 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250). See Payment for details.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Community Health Services (5M4468)
- ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Yoga Teaching
- This qualification is recognised for membership by Complementary Therapists Association (CHhA) and Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS)
- QQI Component Maths (5N1833) (available as an option in the evening for learners requiring Maths for progression).
- Work Experience: Students undertake a block placement of 2 weeks in a health related environment or in the wellbeing department of a company. Students undertake to prepare, plan and facilitate a professional, dynamic and inclusive yoga programme.
- Click to view, print or download prospectus page.